Newbie from Ohio

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTefft

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been lurking on the site for about 6 months now. I've learned an incredible amount from you all. I feel that I know many of you even though we've obviously never met. The post that made me make the leap from lurker to member was wareagle's post "sacred tools" and those responding to it. This is going to sound crazy but those posts made me feel like I have come home. You guys understand. You get it. I have tools from my father and grandfather, tools from my father in law. Tools that I will never part with because of that link to the past. So for that I thank you.

About myself: I'm a fairly proficient wood butcher and have had an increasing interest in metal working. Actually I've been interested since 8th grade metal shop but finally have decided to make the plunge. So, I'm a total newbie but am willing to invest and learn. This site seems to encourage the newbies instead of scorn them like some others.

So here I am with my first question: I have an opportunity to purchase a Cincinnati Milacron TrayTop 10x24 lathe with some tooling. I've been told it's a 60's model. The price seems reasonable but when I google for info on this lathe there is surprisingly little out there. I can find manuals but that's about it. From what I've found out it appears to be an imported Hitachi lathe rebadged under the Cincinnati name. Can anyone give me feedback as to if this would be a good starter lathe? I know you can't be specific but in general is this a lathe I should even look at. I have no idea if parts are available or if it has a good rep.

Any info would be most welcome and again thanks to you all for the incredible wealth of this site.

David

cant help you with your question about the lathe but i can say..........HOWDY AND WELCOME ;D

chuck

G'day and welcome!

I dunno if i cant help but Hitachi (australia) is a short walk from me and they have been helpfull in the past with similar requests, now i'm home again i'll ask the boss there about another "weird one" and let you know what he knows or can pass on.

again welcome

enjoy!

jack

Welcome aboard David, please feel free to join in ........... and just ...... enjoy yourself.

;) CC

David, welcome to HMEM. I have to say that I am honored that a little topic I started paved the way for your joining us! Thank you!

Feel free to contribute anytime. We are just a big bunch of fellows that get their kicks turning chunks of metal into smaller chunks of metal! :big: :big: I look forward to your contributions!

W/E

David

Welcome to the club. I don't know anything about that particular lathe though...

Eric

Welcome David (good name BTW), Cant help with your questions but I'm sure an answer will be along any minute.

David

Welcome David, this is a good place to be - just watch out for the dreaded fluffy bunnies.

Dave,

Welcome!

Cincinnatti bought and rebadged many things. I used a lathe like this one once and it was pretty nice.

Tooling shouldn't be too bad, Make a list of what comes with it and post it here. I am sure those of us in the know can advise. I would bring someone knowledgeable with you to check it out.

Again Welcome!

Dave

Latest posts

Back