New type of tool holder.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video for the diamond brand tool shows it doing an intermittent cut. Of course I have no idea how well that holds up to the hammering.

I'm going to make one of these once I get my workshop set up after my move.

Twmaster said:
The video for the diamond brand tool shows it doing an intermittent cut. Of course I have no idea how well that holds up to the hammering.

I'm going to make one of these once I get my workshop set up after my move.

Oh, well it may be that the Diamond brand tool has better clamping? I've not tried an intermittent cut with mine but would be (pleasantly) surprised if it did hold up! :eek:

Vic.

Twmaster said:
Kinda funny. The price with shipping from the shop in OZ to the US is . . .US$120, the dealer in the states charges US$140 plus shipping.
There are several possible scenarios one needs to consider . . . . The US dealer may need to charge that much in order to recoup losses from dealing with US buyers who ordered from Oz but when something goes wrong they go straight to the US "dealer" for satisfaction. . . . The US dealer may not be getting a discount - not probable, but certainly possible, and their markup looks to be about 15%. If you have ever imported goods for resale you would know that 15% won't come close to covering the basic costs of doing business. Another way to look at it is from the convenience perspective, if you're making money with your toolholder and you need another one or two (or parts) you can get it in a couple of days rather than 3-5 weeks (or more.) Then of course there is the other possibility . . . the US dealer and the mfg have entered into an international trade conspiracy for the sole purpose of picking the pockets of the poor US home shop machinist. ::)

I have one of these toolholders but I can't make full use of it due to the size of my compound and the location of the lantern toolpost. The diamond tool shank isn't quite long enough to allow me to locate put bit where it needs to be for anything near the chuck face. Extending the shank introduces too much overhang so I have to use it in an indexing toolpost which I don't really prefer. Otherwise, when I've been able to use it, it does just fine.

PS - Count yourselves lucky, when I got mine . . . as a part of a barter with a chum in Oz, there was only one source option. The mfg would absolutely not ship the product to individuals in the USA, you were required to order from their US dealer.

Back