New stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
My new DTI and magnetic base arrived today, still waiting for my combination set to arrive. Soon I should have what I need to have a go at the ez engine.

Thing is it mat have to wait as it looks like I'll be getting a new military assignment and moving to another part of the country. Any advice on safely shipping my lathe would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers fellers,

Rockets.

Rock', not knowing the size of your lathe I can only suggest a couple of things as far as shipping goes. Shop around for prices on freight charges etc. Find the one place that fits YOUR schedule and requirements and then ask them for references and follow them up. This will eliminate the Billy Bob and his nephew team from taking you to the cleaners by hauling it in their pickup truck. There are really two ways to ship large machines and both methods do require some time spent in preparation. Firstly, the machine should be securely mounted to a pallet with lag bolts THROUGH the supports and not merely screwed into the wood (there is always the possibility of the pulling out if you do not go through the piece and back up the nuts with large diameter washers). Next up is to remove all levers and handles and knobs and chucks that could get stepped on, caught, banged into etc, etc. Place these components in a sturdy separate box for shipping. Now, the two different methods are to either wrap the machine up in plastic strecth wrap once it is secured to the pallet and ship it that way (not recommended) or build a crate/box that will encase the pallet with the machine firmly attached to it. This method *should* prevent anything drastic from happening short of the crate falling off the truck or being dropped. If you are not able to or do not have the time for such carpentry, some of the better freight offices will do so for a fee. These guidelines are really meant for larger machines but the same principles apply to smaller types and are advisable in any case. Keep the separate box of all of the parts and tooling together in the same crate as the machine if possible, this will prevent them from getting lost/separated/stolen in transit. You would truly be amazed of the way that freight is handled, not like your Mother's fine china, that is for certain, so any precautions and safegaurds that you can do up front will increase the chances of the machine getting to it's destination unscathed. Best of luck in your move and we are all looking forward to seeing your E-Z build.

Regards

BC1
Jim

Military you say, Well then - Put it low on a pallet and put it at the front of the U-Haul - They still pay you by the pound for moving, don't they? And that way you have a better chance of the military transport people not managing to screw something up between your present location and the new one. (I am willing to believe they still have that talent...)

kf2qd said:
Military you say, Well then - Put it low on a pallet and put it at the front of the U-Haul - They still pay you by the pound for moving, don't they? And that way you have a better chance of the military transport people not managing to screw something up between your present location and the new one. (I am willing to believe they still have that talent...)

A DITY move with a lathe........Hmmmmmm.........

Used to buy the beer and grill the steaks to get your buddies to help with a DITY move and load the U-Haul, but a lathe.........? That's a lot of beer and a side of beef. :eek:

Ed

Thanks for the words fellers, these days they employ civillian contractors to move and they probably will refuse to move the lathe. That means entrusting it to a pallet shipping company. Perhaps I should crate myself up with it to make sure it's alright...

I sold a lathe on eBay once.
The buyer had agreed to pick it up as a term of the sale.
Then he realized that Punxsutawney PA was a long way from Illinois. ::)
He said that he'd pay all shipping costs if I would ship it.
I asked the shipping manager of the shop I worked for at that time, if he could
ship it for me. It cost me $79 to ship it FedEx freight. The buyer reimbursed me
for the $79 AND sent me an antique Johnson Iron Horse small engine for my
extra troubles.

If you know anyone who works for a local company that has daily in and out
freight shipments, ask them if they would do it for you.

Business pay a whole lot less for freight shipments than an individual will.

Rick

Back