Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugene896

Reaction score
Hi. Never joined any thing like this before but decided to give it a try. I am from West Yorkshire in the UK and like to tinker about in the workshop (shed). I was making clocks (with varying degrees of success) for a number of years but thought it would be good to try something different so had a go at steam engine. I have made a couple of small ones up to press drawings courtesy of Elmer and a very clever guy on YouTube called Les Proper. I am at the moment attempting to make a boiler to run to run them.
Eugene.

Hi, I am a new member as of today on this forum, many thanks for the accept notification. I'm into both I.C. engine and Live Steam engine/locomotive collecting, refurbishing, running and restoration. I find there's an awesome knowledge base of excellent information and images sharing on this forum. Thanks to the community members for the passion and willingness to exchange their expertise and help others.
Stephane

Last edited:
Hi Eugene., Stephane !!

Welcome to the forum !
if possible , Post some pictures of your engines .
Hi Minh, I would not know where to start with too many engines to begin with... !! Here's my Replica Engines Aurora V8 IRL in 1/4" scale.
irl.JPG

Here's one from my engine collection, i.e. untouched original vintage 1950 Flyod McGuckin flame licker engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi. Never joined any thing like this before but decided to give it a try. I am from West Yorkshire in the UK and like to tinker about in the workshop (shed). I was making clocks (with varying degrees of success) for a number of years but thought it would be good to try something different so had a go at steam engine. I have made a couple of small ones up to press drawings courtesy of Elmer and a very clever guy on YouTube called Les Proper. I am at the moment attempting to make a boiler to run to run them.
Eugene.
Welcome to the group

Dave

Hi, I am a new member as of today on this forum, many thanks for the accept notification. I'm into both I.C. engine and Live Steam engine/locomotive collecting, refurbishing, running and restoration. I find there's an awesome knowledge base of excellent information and images sharing on this forum. Thanks to the community members for the passion and willingness to exchange their expertise and help others.
Stephane

Hi, Stephane,
Fancy meeting you here!
Show them your new radial.
Bob

Welcome Eugene & Stephane.
Stephane, from what you have shown us (especially the V8!) I think you are a class or 3 ahead of me!
Eugene, Let's talk boilers. I found a couple of years ago that I didn't know enough, so have (with advice from others) taught myself a lot of the complexities of boiler design. And now have a better appreciation of what is SAFE and what is just not quite safe enough. A few have used my advice (and not complained), so I am comfortable to take your designs/needs and recommend any tweaks I think can improve them - if necessary. As an Engineer for 50 years at work I have a bit of background in Design and Manufacture, Quality Assurance and also as a Safety Officer, etc....
As Boilers are potential "bombs" (devices full of stored energy that can be released very rapidly during a failure), there are Regulations for any public display, or even home insurance. Without a certified test, things may not be "as planned" in the event of any mishap.
Therefore, if you wish, please send me some details of your boiler "needs" and thoughts of what you think you want to do. Either directly or through a thread.
Hope I can help?
K2

Here's my Kinner K-5 radial engine recently acquired from "olympic" on this forum. Thanks again Bob !!

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 53
Quick video of my original vintage 1950 Flyod McGuckin flame licker engine up & running.

If you wait long enough, i.e. just under a minute, the video does work without the need to download to your computer.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.MOV
    29.1 MB
Eugene.
welcome to the group!

I have a steamer from Chilertern steam . I think they are located just north of London . I don’t know much about the location their steam engine kits are really well done everything fits and is polished . Customer service was excellent. My boiler project is on hold while I learn more about the process plus’s our lathe is down with spindle bearing issues. There is lots of good stuff here you just have to ask the questions. All kinds of engines from mini to large . Steam ic diesel . I have not seen much on electrics or jets so welcome aboard.

Byron

Back