New member says hello

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timB

Reaction score
Hello Guys & Girls,

Just registered and thought I would post the obligatory message on the Welcome board.

I have been reading here for several weeks and am amazed at the wealth of information contained on these pages. Heck, i've almost read every post here. Well, maybe not, but many of them. I have learned and been inspired by this community and just want to say thanX.

I live near Buffalo, NY. My interests are wide and varied, but if the process is creative I would like to try it. Some of the arts I enjoy besides drawing and painting are: photography - mostly analog and historical processes. My pride and joy is a 4x5 view camera. Woodworking - boxes, turning, carving, and hand tools. My latest endeavor is to learn the machinist art.

I have a Taig lathe and mill. After being bitten by watching curls of metal fly around the shop, I picked up an older Craftsman 12" lathe which I am in the process of repainting. The Craftsman has babbit bearings and they are tight. Can't wait to get it finished and a stand built.

My plan, if you can't see it in the above paragraphs: I want to build a large camera, maybe 11x14. It will use glass plates on which I will pour a shop made emulsion. It will be made of wood. The fittings will be made of metal of course.

I might even build an engine or two.

Hmmm... guess I have a lot to learn. It will be fun!

tim

wEc1 Tim

You wii find this forum is a font of knowlege

Regards from Sunny (and hot) Spain
Gordy

Welcome to the forum Tim.

hm...seems odd to say the usual "take lots of pics" :big:

Welcome Tim,

Many moons ago (too many), I enjoyed the photographic arts as well only in the 2 1/4" square format for my high school newspaper as well as chasing steam engines both in Georgia and the western US. All of that was B&W work but it was still fun, especially the dark room side of it. I can only imagine how difficult it must be in this ever growing digital world to get all the chemicals, papers, etc. needed.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your huge format camera :)

Of course we will want pictures of that as you progress (scanned prints would even work :big:)

Regards,
Bill

Tim,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome aboard Tim. wEc1

I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Regards,

SAM

thanX all for the warm welcome.

Bill, i will surly keep you in mind when i start building the camera.

tim

Welcome. As time goes on, maybe you can post some pics from your previous hobbies in the Break Room. I've spent a few years drawing, painting and woodworking myself.

-dennis

Hi Dennis,

That's a good idea. In fact i have pictures of a small wood project being built. thanX!

tim

Yes very welcome,you have come to the right place without doubt.
Don

Back