Hello All... New member from Long Island, NY

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgedde

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm introducing myself as a new member. My name is John and I live in Middle Island, NY. I'm a avid HSM who enjoys building tools and engines.

For a day job, I work as an electronics engineer designing motor controllers and test equipment for space vehicle motion controls.

When I first started in the electronics field, we had a fellow by the name of George Luhrs (who is likely known to many of you) who did consulting and machine work for us. I became fast friends with George. That was well over twenty years ago, and for all that time I've been striving to become 10% of the machinist he is!

It was his inspiration that piqued my interest in making model engines, although when we first met I never thought I'd be able to...

I recently completed my first engine project: a PM Research #7 Twin Cylinder Steam Engine from PM's unmachined casting kit. It came out well and runs extremely strong and quiet. She spins slow and steady on a mere 2 psi of air. At 15 psi, all is a blur! Here is a slide show on the build... To see it run, skip ahead to 8:10. Pardon the known mistake of calling the cross head the cross slide...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWTwzY5mj0[/ame]

My latest endeavor is a J.E. Howell Farm Boy. My first build of an IC engine. So far, I've completed the flywheels. The Howell design is first rate and offers a few challenges - at least for me...

Cheers!
John

Hi John. Sorry for the late response, I'm not sure how I missed it, but thank you for your very interesting introduction and welcome to HMEM. We are a friendly bunch here and always willing to help out people new to this fascinating hobby.
Unfortunately your video doesn't show up on my little IPhone/computer. Perhaps other members can advise where the problem lies. Good luck and please keep us updated on your builds.

Hi John

I also missed your post; The video is great and the workmanship on your steam engine is superb.
Being able to spend time with George Luhrs; wow what a wonderful opportunity. He has to be one of the all time great model engineers.

Please keep is posted on the progress of your Farm Boy; how about a build thread?

Dave

Hi John

I also missed your post; The video is great and the workmanship on your steam engine is superb.
Being able to spend time with George Luhrs; wow what a wonderful opportunity. He has to be one of the all time great model engineers.

Please keep is posted on the progress of your Farm Boy; how about a build thread?

Dave

Thanks Dave! Per your request: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/first-farm-boy-parts-19944/#post207871

Are you the fellow building that Pacific engine? That thing is STUNNING!!!

John

Fifteen miles East of you! Welcome....there are good people here!

Last edited:
Back