New member from Toronto area...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John

This is John from Halton Hills, Ontario.

Nice to meet you.

John

hey John from Halton Hills... nice to meet you too!

Nice area you live in. Have you ever checked out the Halton County Radial Railway? First Saturday in May the weekend season opens and with it an opportunity to see restored radial rail cars i.e. historic streetcars mostly from the TCC. Maybe not as cool as steam but nice none the less...

Hi John----Brian up in Barrie here. If you go for a Craftex lathe, try the 10 x 18 B2227L or eqivalent size. They are a great machine for model work, offer many more options than the 7" lathes, and aren't really that much more money. And as all will tell you, you can do small work on a larger lathe but you simply can not do larger work on a small lathe. I have built over 16 models with my B2227L and it has served me very well.
Hi Brian, have you made any changes on your B2227L lathe to cut left hand thread. If so could you give me any tips. Thanks, Art

I sold my B2227L lathe about 5 years ago, and bought a larger lathe. The lathe worked great. The only limiting thing was the small hole thru the center of the spindle, which as I remember was only about 7/8". I never tried to cut a thread with it, right or left hand.---Brian

I just wanted to introduce myself... I'm just another middle aged guy with a technical background, having worked in HVAC design for the past 20 plus years.

I haven't much machining experience, having mostly lived in a condominium that left no room for a shop. So until now I mostly confined myself to modeling wood boats, and carving wood and stone.

I am really interested in learning to machine model steam and IC engines to use in model boats.

I hope to buy a craftex mini metal lathe to start out. I have been debating between the 7" x 8" and the 7" x 12". Both are a far cry from the antique Barnes lathe I used to own with my brother before we lost our shop area.

I am a good technical writer and photographer so if I ever get going on a suitable project you will find it well documented on this forum.

John
Did find a lathe?

Dave

Last edited:
Did find a lathe?

Dave
Oh yeah, years ago now. I even posted photos of it here.

Subsequently I entirely gutted the electro-mechanical controls and built a new system and installed a 3 phase motor and VFD with DC injection braking. It is so sweet now.

Also recently acquired a bridgeport mill and a hydraulic surface grinder.

Oh yeah, years ago now. I even posted photos of it here.

Subsequently I entirely gutted the electro-mechanical controls and built a new system and installed a 3 phase motor and VFD with DC injection braking. It is so sweet now.

Also recently acquired a bridgeport mill and a hydraulic surface grinder.
That is great 👍

Dave

Back