New member from Toronto area...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wanted to introduce myself... I'm just another middle aged guy with a technical background, having worked in HVAC design for the past 20 plus years.

I haven't much machining experience, having mostly lived in a condominium that left no room for a shop. So until now I mostly confined myself to modeling wood boats, and carving wood and stone.

I am really interested in learning to machine model steam and IC engines to use in model boats.

I hope to buy a craftex mini metal lathe to start out. I have been debating between the 7" x 8" and the 7" x 12". Both are a far cry from the antique Barnes lathe I used to own with my brother before we lost our shop area.

I am a good technical writer and photographer so if I ever get going on a suitable project you will find it well documented on this forum.

John

Hi John----Brian up in Barrie here. If you go for a Craftex lathe, try the 10 x 18 B2227L or eqivalent size. They are a great machine for model work, offer many more options than the 7" lathes, and aren't really that much more money. And as all will tell you, you can do small work on a larger lathe but you simply can not do larger work on a small lathe. I have built over 16 models with my B2227L and it has served me very well.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the feedback... I appreciate it.

I would love to go with a 10 x 18 because I would like to machine rollers for etching presses that are 4 or 6" in diameter by 18" long, but rather than the cost, the physical size is an impediment to the purchase. The B2227L weighs something like 130 Kg more than the cx704. It would kill me to have to move it :)

Hi John----Brian up in Barrie here. If you go for a Craftex lathe, try the 10 x 18 B2227L or eqivalent size. They are a great machine for model work, offer many more options than the 7" lathes, and aren't really that much more money. And as all will tell you, you can do small work on a larger lathe but you simply can not do larger work on a small lathe. I have built over 16 models with my B2227L and it has served me very well.

Hi Brian,

I went to Busybee yesterday to look at their lathes in person... The B2227L in clearly a much better lathe than their smaller CX704 and B1979C which are made by Seig.

However, the one I really like is the CX700 10x22 with digital readout.

Neither of their 10" models look like it is made by Seig however. Do you know if the B2227L is manufactured by Seig or who manufactured it? With the 3 year warranty should I care who really made it?

Not really related to your Busy Bee lathe issue, but I received a flyer from them the other day showing a 'new' mill, this one made in Taiwain. eta Feb/Mar-2013? I havent seen it myself, but it looks better than some of the (suspect Chinese) models they offer at lower cost (but I think proportional quality?) Of couse, pictures always look better than in real life.

Does 'CX' mean their better line? Or is there any rhyme or reason? I'm not in the market for one myself, but was just wondering. This looks more like equivalents avaialble through USA distributers, but not as much in Canada for soem reason.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/KNEE-MILL-VERTICAL-CRAFTEX-CX-SERIES.html

I dont think there is any rhyme or reasoning to their naming of products. I am positive that some CX model are made by seig and others are not, both in their mills and lathes.

Sorry I didn't look at any of their larger mills the other day, but judging by what you said, and what I saw the must have some product coming from Taiwan rather than mainland china. There is an obvious huge step up in quality but not so much in price. The CX700 lathe for instance has less backlash, better fittings, finish and general components... and lots of oil ports that Seig does not have on their models.

Their store staff were pretty much either clueless as to the origin of equipment or are directed by management to act completely stupid in this regard. I'd sure like to speak with someone in their purchasing department, because I'd very much prefer not to buy products made in mainland china if I have a reasonable alternative.

Holy crap... that sucker is located right in the town I wish to retire to!

Thanks for the heads up on that sale Bert... Much appreciated.

I will be contacting them right away.

I just wanted to introduce myself... I'm just another middle aged guy with a technical background, having worked in HVAC design for the past 20 plus years.

I haven't much machining experience, having mostly lived in a condominium that left no room for a shop. So until now I mostly confined myself to modeling wood boats, and carving wood and stone.

I am really interested in learning to machine model steam and IC engines to use in model boats.

I hope to buy a craftex mini metal lathe to start out. I have been debating between the 7" x 8" and the 7" x 12". Both are a far cry from the antique Barnes lathe I used to own with my brother before we lost our shop area.

I am a good technical writer and photographer so if I ever get going on a suitable project you will find it well documented on this forum.

John
welcome . I have a craftefx lather o89 for sale 12x24 in awsome shape. Just got a bigger one 12X36 having
a taig lathe 12X24 is kind of sitting between 2 chairs
cheers

Hi Luc,

This is what I always worry about... the dreaded creep... I was looking at a 7" x 12" 100 lb lathe as ideal because of space issues. 10" would be better but would cause problems... hey 370 lbs isn't easy move, but when such a deal comes along it is hard to resist...

Your CT? 089 13x24 lathe is much further from my home (5 hours away)and much heavier at a whopping 715 lbs! But hey, if the price is right then I would have to seriously consider it. send me a private message if you would like to discuss price.

hi, john

i'm in toronto as well. a decent place around these parts (an' there are very few) is atlas machinery on queen west (if you haven't already been).

they carry king canada, sherline. not a bad place for the home machinist.

take care

John--I you want to see my b2227L lathe come on up to my place and have a good look at it, all the mods I've made to it to make it even better, and about 20 models both steam and I.C. Come on up to Barrie for a show and tell. My contact info is on my web page.----Brian

Hi Brian,

I have been swamped getting the last work done to list my house for sale... then I expect to be busy on weekends with open houses but I definitely appreciate the invitation to come see you lathe and modifications. I will take you up on it and come for a visit as soon as I am able. I'd like to bring my brother along too if you don't mind...

Hi Brian,

I have been swamped getting the last work done to list my house for sale... then I expect to be busy on weekends with open houses but I definitely appreciate the invitation to come see you lathe and modifications. I will take you up on it and come for a visit as soon as I am able. I'd like to bring my brother along too if you don't mind...
Sure, come ahead. I have pretty well finished my latest hit and miss engine, so you can see it run while you are here ---Brian

Latest posts

Back