New Job, Big Responsibilities

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Congratulations Kelly!

It really is a great story that just keeps getting better.

What are you guys using for programming? If you ever get stuck don't hesitate to send me your file.

Kelly,

Just read this.Congratulations and best wishes in the new role.

Mike

Kelly

Fabrication machining is easy.
If you are not positive it is going to work, just make it very pretty.

I'd wish you luck, but I've seen your work.
You don't need luck when you have that kind of skill. ;)

Congrats!!
Go show em how it should have been done all along!

Rick

Congratulations,

Just adding to what everyone else has said. You deserve it and careful work and study will probably lead to more Good Things.

--ShopShoe

Thanks again guy's, for your kind comments.

Kevin, We are using solid works, and I am not sure of any version number.

I wrote my first lathe program after work today, just a simple OD turning from 2-1.5" diameter. I will be bringing the text file to work tomorrow to see what 30HP of lathe spindle can do! Hopefully no crashes, I am told when the lathe crashes, it crashes big.

I have already been given more responsibility, as far as just winging a project along. For instance, yesterday they came to me and said they need a device to take soil samples at least 18" deep. (This is for a much bigger project) They gave me certain parameters, but the design and construction was all up to me. 3 hours, and 6 individual parts later I had the "Soil Liberator". Too bad the ground out back of the shop was frozen, or I would have had a test sample larger than 2" deep ;D. Luckily the ground is thawed at the test site.

Kel

Hi Kelly , congratulations. If your haas lathe has the intuitive programming on it keep in mind that is a powerful way to build programs and keep in mind you can add a facing routine to a roughing and finish all in the control. I like to teach the use of the intuitive and constructing that way. Also in G54 offset (normally all zero) just add a safe distance in the z and dry run if you need too. Better to cut air than crash.
I also use a very simple cnc editor called NC Plot by Mike Lynch at cncconcepts. It is very simple to use and you can see every line of code you write as you do it. For lathe and mill. It is a low cost way to write and visualize the programs and in all views too.
Once in the haas memory highlight the program, hit memory and settings/graphics twice and cycle start to render the tool path.
I bet you are getting in to all of this and best wishes from Montana !
Tom

All I can say is. woohoo1

Cheers,
Chazz

I trained on a Haas lathe; you should be able to avoid crashes with normal procedures. What we were shown to do was:

1) after loading the program, run the simulator and check that the profile looks OK

2) run first time cutting air with feed % and rapid % set low. Finger on the e-stop button

3) first time cutting metal keep rapid % low and finger on green button

Unless you're making a lot of parts where cycle time is critical, I suggest homing the turret for every tool change. One source of crashes at school I saw was rotating the turret for a tool change and having a long tool hit the chuck.

Back