New Job, Big Responsibilities

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmillin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This story starts over a year ago with this thread.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=10623.0

I have been employed there for almost 4 months now, I have enjoyed every minute, and have been learning new interesting things every day. I LOVE IT!

Last week my boss brought me into the conference room to "Have a Talk". He informed me that 2 of our employees are leaving, one of them being the "Fabrication Director", and the only one who knows how to program and run some of the CNC machines in the shop, like the HAAS Lathe and KOMO router, among 2 mills and a plasma cutter. The loss of these valued employees will leave 4 people left in the business, including me.

With the loss of the fab director, the building will be without a machinist, which leaves me, who until 4 months ago was still a self taught amateur model engine builder. My boss offered me a new job taking over the fabrication side of our business, needless to say I said YES!. I will also be doing some "Light" design work, and creating solutions to problems.

This is a very exciting opportunity for me, and I have ALOT to learn in the next 40 days, when I will be assuming all responsibility for running the CNC machinery, among this I will be learning how to write programs manually for the HASS lathe.

I am confident in my abilities and I really want to be there, but it is a scary BIG step for me.

I just though I would share this, as HMEM has been a great source of knowledge and inspiration, and a HUGE contributor to where I am today.

So, Thank you HMEM!

Kelly

Kelly I am so happy for you ,you can be proud of yourself . Just remenber that we all put our pants on the same way ,one leg at a time .I know you will do a great job. The best of luck to you. Dale

That's great. Best of luck!

Go Get em Kelly!

Congrats!

As a mentor once said to me as I started something new
"Go slow and think about what your doing"

Good luck Kelly, and if you need something holla!

Dave

Kelly congrats on your new job I'm sure you'll do fine.

Congratulations, Kelly! Love to see people get these kinds of opportunities. Best of luck in your new job!

Chuck

Kelly,

I remember when you first came here and I made some kind remark to which you responded that I must really like you.......................

WELL..................................NOW YOU KNOW......................I'm NOT ALONE.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

ONYA Kelly! Give 'em what for! Thm:

If you have confidence and ability, success is assured, Kelly. Congratulations!
Stew

Kelly,

If the bosses thought you weren't up to it, they wouldn't have offered it to you.

There are no free rides in this day and age, you just prove to them that you are more than capable, and the sky will be your limit.

Very well done.

John

Congratulations Kelly!!!!

I clearly remember the thread from a while ago about your situation!!

Put your best foot forward, put in the overtime and take home manuals to study!
If you can go in on weekends to practice and hone your skills that would also be very beneficial!

Not sure about the rules in machine shops but that is what i did in order to be a manager/supervisor
of 20 people by the time i was 30.

I know you can do it and i am sure anyone here with the knowledge or answers would be more than willing to
help you out!!!

Andrew

Thank you all for your kind comments, and words of encouragement.

I know that I have a great teacher there to help me get where I need to be, and I will be sad to see him go, but he won't be to far away so I will still have access to his wisdom, along with the great help I receive here, I am confident I can do it.

I won't let you down guys, but I might be asking for your advice from time to time.

Thanks again,

Kelly

Nice job ...

Interesting how things work out especially when you are dedicated to the task.

I'm sure you will do great. ;)

Pat H.

Back