New here!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu38&Bg#

Reaction score
I found this website just today. It looks fabulous. I've not built an engine from scratch yet, but hope to do so soon. I fly RC models. My shop consists of an Atlas/Crafstman 12" lathe, a home made CNC mill, and I'm now setting up a Clausing 4902 lathe. I run Solidworks and have learned all my machining in the basement. I'm using VisualMill 5.0 basic with the mill and it seems to do a good job if I put in the right info. The mill runs on Linux EMC2. My first engine build will probably be my own design single cylinder four stroke.

I have a web site at www.dieselrc.com

Greg

Hi Greg,

Welcome to HMEM.

Chuck

Welcome to HMEM Greg.
I visited and bookmarked your website. Very nice.
There are a few of us around here that build compression ignition engines.
None of us have done a four stroke that I know of.
Gail in NM,USA

Welcome! I like your website and Blog page especially. Very well done.

I'm a newbie to machining here as well as a newbie to the forum.

If I may, I'd like to know something? I read your site and you mentioned a blend of fuel that had "ether" 35% as an ingredient. Is that the infamous diethyl variety or the more common petroleum ether? Diethyl is NOT found in Oil or natural gas depostis is the major difference. It is very very explosive and dangerous to handle, tending to form even more dangerous peroxides if stored for even a short time without special precautions.

Just curious ya know :D
Kermit

Greg,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks guys. I've been working on the site for a while and hope to be doing more projects soon.

Kermit said:
If I may, I'd like to know something? I read your site and you mentioned a blend of fuel that had "ether" 35% as an ingredient. Is that the infamous diethyl variety or the more common petroleum ether? Diethyl is NOT found in Oil or natural gas depostis is the major difference. It is very very explosive and dangerous to handle, tending to form even more dangerous peroxides if stored for even a short time without special precautions.

Just curious ya know :D
Kermit

Diethyl Ether is the one used in model diesel fuel. It is not nearly that dangerous, but does require appropriate measures. It will not form peroxides unless it is extremely pure. I get it from cans of starting fluid, so it already has oil and other things in it. If you buy lab grade ether, you might want to read the supplied MSDS. Model diesel fuel has been made with ether for over 70 years.

Greg

Hello dieselpilot:

I like your website, I am sure that you will have many contributions to this forum.

Welcome to HMEM

Best Wishes

Chuck M

Thanks for that info. I knew about starting fluid being a source for the ether as well. Got interested in the stuff way back when I thought it would be profitable to make extractions of essential plant oils and such. I have a super cheap way to make chloroform, but never found a way to get the ether pure enough to use for extractions without mucho equipment and money,(and some risk of life and limb in distillation) Getting it out was just the start for what I wanted. Any anhydrous alcohol is getting VERY hard to locate down here in perpetual summer time land. All that was a couple of decades ago though. I'm sure things are much better now ;D

Things get better with age, or I'm forgetting all the bad stuff,
Kermit ;)

Hello and welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.

Tim

Latest posts

Back