New here.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

thinwater

I am in a cnc manufacturing program (Mastercam programming is the current class)at Daytona college. I found this site looking to find a picture of a brass flywheel to copy for a class project. I bought 36" of 2" brass round from the local scrap dealer so I figurred I would cut it into 1"thick slices and make a bunch of flywheels out of it for future home steam engine builds as well as a little ebay selling for now to help with gas costs driving to the class.

This is an awesome site. I can see I will have to make several of the engines I have seen so far. I have a 14" lathe, a Southbend 10K lathe, a full size Bridgeport, a 12" shaper and a foundry for AL casting to use for the engine building.

I will be using a new Haas horizontal mill to make the flywheels on with Mastercam for the programming. This is much like using a hammer to kill a flea but it works.

G'day and welcome Thinwater

sounds like a real nice setup

i can cast brass and others but Alu is a bit beyond me yet

let us know when you have some wheels for sale

or put a link in Buy /Sell /Trade/ Evilbay section

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?board=8.0

i'm sure some of the folks here will help if the price is reasonable
especially if the wheel are unique or pretty

cheers

jack

Ya know, sometimes it is fun to kill fleas with a hammer. ;) Welcome to HMEM!

Welcome, welcome. You certainly seemed well equiped there. 3' of 2" dia brass must have cost a fortune! :bow:

jack404 said:
G'day and welcome Thinwater

sounds like a real nice setup

i can cast brass and others but Alu is a bit beyond me yet

let us know when you have some wheels for sale

or put a link in Buy /Sell /Trade/ Evilbay section

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?board=8.0

i'm sure some of the folks here will help if the price is reasonable
especially if the wheel are unique or pretty

cheers

jack

Thanks, I listed a couple of them on the link you suggested, mostly finished. The price should be about what you would pay for just the brass online. They are partially finished. I will be cutting some spokes Friday in my next class.
ry%3D400

Daytona Beach FL. The school was DBCC but they got all uppity when they got the 4 year degree program and call themselves Daytona State College now.

thinwater said:
Daytona Beach FL. The school was DBCC but they got all uppity when they got the 4 year degree program and call themselves Daytona State College now.

Cool. Lived in Jax for about 10 years. Used to go to Daytona for bike week.

Eric

Back