New Guy!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chengdave2003

Reaction score
I've only recently found this forum and although I don't build model engines, there's a LOT of info inside to make it a valuable resource for me. I'm retired from the U. S. Coast Guard (engineer) that got very interested in machining while stationed in Alaska in the mid-1980's. I took a short course at the local college and was fortunate enough to have access to a small South Bend lathe at work that allowed me to continue practicing my skills. Later, on a couple of Coast Guard cutters, I had access to lathes that allowed my skills to continue to improve, or at least not get lost. With that in mind, my screen name is comprised of a Naval acronym (Cheng is an acronym for CHief ENGineer, a position I held on two of the cutters I was stationed on) and my nickname. In 2003, two years before I retired, I found a circa 1961 9" South Bend (model A) on Ebay and bought it. About three years later, I picked up a Grizzly milling machine, also on Ebay that needed some minor repair (I've since not only repaired it, but also made some homemade upgrades such as a DRO, spindle lock, etc). All those years I mostly made tools and tooling for my tools, which was fine for learning but hardly justified the purchase of the machines and tooling. Last year I made some carburetor parts for my Harley (extended idle and fast idle screws and an extended air/fuel mixture screw) and showed them off on a couple Harley forums. That started a business that although I couldn't live off the profits, has allowed me to increase my stock of raw materials and purchase some upgrades that I've wanted for a while. I sent my parts all over the world, selling them not only to Harley forum members, but also on Ebay. My skills and knowledge cannot compete with many of the machinists on this site, but as I mentioned before, the forum has already proven to be a great resource of knowledge to me

When I retired, I moved to Henderson in Northern New York (between Watertown and Syracuse) where I now live.

Thank you for allowing me to become a member of this forum. I hope that I may be able to provide help to others as well...

Dave

I don't build model engines,
Yet!!!
Welcome to the board.
A '61 South Bend should be a nice machine
(I have a '37 long bed model c)
Tin

Welcome,Dave.I know nothing about"motorsickles",but your parts look the bees knees.No wonder they're popular.
I know a lot of people would love to be able to make something or other to sell,in order to lighten the load on their workshop budget.

Dave,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Back