New beam engine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well spotted kvom - I just had a look (only downloaded these yesterday) and yes, there is a potential problem there. Could get around it by extending the valve spindle and the link and putting in some sort of guide I guess.

kvom said:
I am wondering about the valve crank lever being offset from the valve bore. The forces on the valve would be to the side, and I thainki9ng that might contribute to some binding. Perhaps some with more experience could comment.

I'm not experienced. but it looks like the valve crank could be positioned above the valve (perhaps inverted and mounted to the frame) Then two short links could drop down to the valve spindle, or the spindle could be made with a slot in the end and one link used right on center.

Frank

I was dry testing my build of Brian's double-size beam engine, and found that the valve operated without binding with only one of the two levers attached. So it may well work on this one too.

I found this thread the other day and fell for the engine I have seen others like it but there was just something about this one. I plan on building this as my first engine but can't do it tell spring cause my shop isn't heated and it gets a little cold out there also I have Smithy Lathe/ Mill that I have to rebuild/ clean up. I downloaded the prints and noticed that the print for the connecting rod was missing along with the print that shows the bearings that the beam shaft pivots on and I do not understand what the exhaust flange is or what it does I hope you can help me with this. Cliff

hello oldboatguys, and thanks for these great plans

I downloaded them a few minutes ago and printed also, but I don't find the sheet n. 7
is it missing or not?

thank you

Oldboatguy, First off I want to thank you for a lovely design and your overwhelming generousity for sharing them. I have downloaded the plans but have noticed that one of the sheets may have slipped through the cracks. The sheet in question should be labeled #4 and my guess is it contains the drawings and dimensions for the crank bearing blocks, pivot arm bearing blocks and the crank connecting rod and bearing blocks. I have gone through the files a number of times but am unable to find these parts. Just a heads-up.

Thanks again.....Greg

I'll be danged, I can't find the plans either.
The links posted sends me to a couple of drawings for boiler parts.
What am I doing wrong? ???

Sid

I have begun building parts for the beam engine and yes there is missing sheet #7. I don't know if there is any critical info on it. I have all together sixteen drawings, #1 to #17. I plan to make the frame out of wood with brass mountings and reinforcement strips, but that plan might change as I go along. So far the only problem I have encountered is the 2-56 taps, I've lost the touch and broken several of them, there cheep anyway.

Dennis

I'm working on these plans too, and I have done almost every part
I think that in the missing page (n. 7) there were the drawings of the mounting block for the main shafts, because I didn't find them anywhere.
I have done these mounting blocks by assembling, comparing and examining others measures...
Don't know if they are correct for now, I need some more days to complete these parts.
I'll post some pics and measures in the post that I started in 'working in progress' in the next days
:)

ex cellant ariz,

I am very curious to see some pics of it. As far a the missing print, I will probably do a ratio and proportion measurement to get the dims. please share your drawing of the mounting blocks along with the photos if you can. What are you making the frame of?

I made the frame of alu
Designed on the alu plate and contoured with the mill (X2 mini-mill) using a 6 mm end mill, working with patience it was not difficult

I have the aluminum here for the frame, I'm just not shure if I want to keep flipping around the frame to cut every angle, although; using a good wood and extra brass might just as well be worse in detail. I have a Micro mill that will do the job, it has the room to hold the frame in any arrangement needed.

I just finished making the eccentric journal and am encouraged with the out come. The Mini Lathe and Micro Mill held to the numbers as needed. I hope it runs as well as it's coming together.

Hi all, I am currently working on a lightwave 3d version of this beam engine, The plans are very good and I am very tempted to build it myself. I am attaching a couple of pictures, any advise would be appreciated Thanks Tony 65

beam 1.jpg

beam2.jpg

hi tony65
could you post a pic a bit larger than this one
thanks

densue
I agree with you, may be that a wood frame was something new and beautyfull as the alu frame
it's your choice

I think that the eccentric was one of the more difficult piece to make, so you are at a good point
I'm working on the 'linkage' in these days (don't know if name is correct): 4 little pieces of steel and 4 of brass that maintain the piston rod movement on a straight direction
a work that I don't like :mad:

regards

Ariz,

I really don't like the intricate work that we put into these ultra micro machines. Although I do enjoy the process, sounds a little oxymoronic, but it's not being there that thrills me, it's getting there that helps me relax, and to know I do this for myself is the reason I sometimes force myself to go into the cave for a few hours.

I would like to see the prints of the new beam engine drawings when they are done, maybe even before that; if we who are working or have worked on this machine could see them then a perfected set of drawings would benefit everyone else interested. I want to see how mine runs and fix if necessary first.

Electric motor? I get that there might be someone in the UK who can't quite figure out what to do with 400 pounds, but running an air/ steam engine with an electric motor just seems wrong. Solenoid engines, sure. But this?????

Best
Stan

Yeah it's a strange one! They're trying to market it as an executive toy ... guess the average exec doesn't have a compressor under his desk though :big:

You're right, sacrilege to drive it with an electric motor though!!

Back