New beam engine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboatguy

Reaction score
For those of you interested in beam type steam engines, I have posted a set of drawings. Many thanks to rake60 for organizing them onto the download area in the menu for me. If you go to download them please notice that there are two pages. You will probably need them both or the engine will look funny. If you build it, I would like to see pictures.

best wishes,

Oldboatguy

Damn that is a cool beam engine. It just made my short list.

Eric

I agree, very nice!

Are there any build or finished photos?

Best,

BW

I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the beam engine. Not sure why, just am not. However, this design just made the "to do" pile! Thanks for sharing!

Oldboatguy

I really like the look of this. I've added it to the "to build" list. At the present rate, I'll have to live to 150 to finish everything on the list.....

Cheers, Joe

Hi Oldboatguy
..very interesting project...I was looking for a similar engine...but maybe I found the best one.. :big:
Cheers, Paolo

hello sir a very fine example indeed! i'm sure it will run as well as it looks . a very good example of artistic scale as well , good job!

I must be ig'nant. How do you get access to this file to look at it?

On the HMEM home screen, look at the left column and there is a box labeled menu.
On that there is a Downloads & Uploads link.
Click on that and it will pull up the downloads page.
Select your fill from the list on the right and click the appropriate link.
It will pull up another window where you can download the file.

PM me if you need further assistance.

OldBoatguy
Nice work!!! I've just added it to my growing future project list, as well. To paraphrase Tennessee Ernie Ford.... St Peter don't call me 'cause I can't go.... I got a lot more cylinders I need to bore.... (grin)

Steve

Re: the laser cut sides and flywheel:

I have gotten pricing on the laser work for the sides and flywheel. If I can get people on board for 10 or more units, the cost is very reasonable. I presently have commitments for 4 units. If you are interested PM me and I will send you a copy of the quote I have and contact information. If enough people want to do this I will handle getting the parts ordered and shipped out for cost + postage.

Thanks,
Oldboatguy

OBG

not to be rude but with the south pacific peso ( OZ dollar) dying in the rear end do you have a idea of cost of the units? My budget needs me to ask such things

cheers

jack

Beautiful design OBG and the drawings look very nice too. Can you give some idea of the cost of the laser cut parts? I would definitely be interested in ordering a set.

Bill

Design looks excellent, however, I can't open page 2 with the actual drawings. I get some sort of error and file cannot be found. Any ideas?

Nick

I have looked and looked, Menu Download, all 8 pages, I can't find the plans. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Frank

Thank You very much for the plans. It is a great looking engine.

I have been looking for the engine of my dreams. This looks very close.

I like the idea of the wood timber side frames. I will probably scale up the plans about 2X and I think the wood would look good.

A note about the Parallel linkage. You say "I knew that on the full sized engines they were to keep the piston rod from bending at full extension" That is true, but perhaps another way to put it is that they come close to keeping the piston rod moving in a straight line. (same job as a cross head.) I say come close, because there is slight side to side motion as the linkage goes up and down.

There is a bit more discussion here.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4173.0

Thanks again.

Frank

I love the look of this one, esp. after the other threads discussion of linkages (Watts, Peaucellier).

I am wondering about the valve crank lever being offset from the valve bore. The forces on the valve would be to the side, and I thainki9ng that might contribute to some binding. Perhaps some with more experience could comment.

Latest posts

Back