Need a vise

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
Hello, I need some input. I got this mill at auction last fall. No it's not hooked up yet, don't have 220 in garage. And it's too blasted cold out there! Yes I have the guard for the belts.
My_M_D.jpg

Question 1 is how do I get this baby in the basement? Well I plan to take off the motor, and the saddle. Is it better to run the head up off the round column, or to take the column off of the base? And who is free next Saturday? ;) I have a couple of friends, really good machinists, to help out.
Question 2. I need a vise. Table is 24" X 9.5". Travel is 9.5X and 7"Y. Spindle to column is 7". I wanted to get a 6" Kurt style vise but don't think there's room, between column and spindle. Can I cut the flange off the base at the front of the vise? I don't want to buy a 4" and be sorry cause it ain't big enough. any thoughts? I think I"m going with the 4". (Free shipping at Enco til next week)

I have a mill drill that's just a little bigger (I think) than the one pictured. I've had 4" vise on mine for close to 15 years and seldom find it to be too small. On those rare occasions when it is too small, I just remove the vise and clamp the work directly to the table. I don't think I've had to do that more than half a dozen times.

Chuck

Nice mill-drill. I would (and did) take it apart at the base of the column. I would (and did) get a 4" vice. Make sure you build a guard for that belt. It's a great place to get your hair tangles up. Ouch.

E

I've got both a 4" and a 6" Kurt vise. The 6" is so much larger I doubt you can cut anything meaningful off the thing without ruining it.

As the other guys said, the 4" is a really nice vise. In fact, they often sell for more than the 6" vises on eBay because of that. Get a 4" and a nice clamping set. Anything you can't fit into the vise, you can clamp.

BTW, you can do some interesting things with those vises. The trick is in making removable jaws for the work at hand. You can save the jaws for future uses too.

For example, should you find your 4" vise's jaws are too narrow, try this:

WidgetViseJaws.JPG

If they're not tall enough, insert some 1-2-3 blocks (2-4-6's like I've shown are probably too big for a 4"):

P1010137.JPG

And remember that removable jaws can be fit either on the inside or (aha!) the outside of the fixed vise jaws:

Widget0861.JPG

That set of jaw tricks plus some good clamping skills ought to take you wherever you need with the 4".

Cheers,

BW

Thanks, guys, for the speedy replies. I feel better about a 4" vise now. going to order that, and 13 piece collets set and clamp set from Enco this weekend. having it shipped to work so the Mrs. won't have to "lift" it ;).
Probly will take the column from the base, and the base from the stand. Bob, those are some great tips right there, and one heck of a flycutter. After 30+ years in job shops, I'm still learning. an old timer once told me to "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut" Thanks again. Dave

No worries about your Mrs. being able to lift them. When she thinks about the costs, the adrenalin will kick in and it will be no problem for her. Your problem will be when she lowers them with force on your head, maybe repeatedly. :-\

RollaJohn said:
No worries about your Mrs. being able to lift them. When she thinks about the costs, the adrenalin will kick in and it will be no problem for her. Your problem will be when she lowers them with force on your head, maybe repeatedly. :-\

12.gif

Now I doubt that would ever happen......

On the other hand I didn't even think of having MY
weekend purchases shipped to the shop.......
banghead.gif

I guess we learn as we go.....

Latest posts

Back