NAMES 2011

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer1893

Reaction score
anyone from the west Tennessee area (Memphis) going to the NAMES show
in Southgate this year, it will be my 5th year to attend

Hi Elmer, I'm not from Tennessee but I'll be there on fri and sat. Stop by and say Hi, I'll have a nametag. Are you exhibiting?
Looking forward to one of my favorite shows. DaveG

Hello Elmer:

I am from Nashville, TN and will be attending for the first time. Something has always come up in the past, but not this year. I am so looking forward to seeing the work of Steve Huck, George Britnell and everyone else who shares their work and knowledge on this board in person. The other thing that I am most interested to see is the smaller bench-top machine tools like the Sherline and the Sieg type lathes and mills. I have never had the opportunity to view them in person and have always been curious about them. Hope to meet some of the HMEM board members there. Safe travel to all who are attending.

Kind regards,
Mike

ON THE ROAD!

Leaving Boothbay Maine for the first leg of my drive- just 180 Miles today, 750 tomorrow.

Should be at the show first thing Friday morning, with a nice new CNC mill to show.

Hope to say hello to lots of the guys form this list.

Well I just got home from the show. Must have talked to at least 20 HMEMers and 10 future HMEMers. The show was great. I didn't leave until 3:45 when they booted me out of the hall. I even won a PM research gift coupon for $25 as a door prize. That's going to cost me.

Thanks to everyone who stopped to say hello!!

I just got home this afternoon. Drove up Friday for Saturday show, picked up the coolant enclosure for my CNC mill from the Novakon guys, and drove back today (725 miles each way.) I'm sure there were plenty of HMEM people there I didn't see, but I did meet Steve Hucks, George Race, and George Britnell.

My show highlights (among many others) were:

Deusenberg Model
Monitor Engine
George Britnell's collection
Steve Huck's mini V8s
1886 Benz model
A 50 year old running version of the Westbury paddle engine, which ought to inspire me to finish mine

I did pick up a few goodies from the vendors: a couple of large v-blocks, two older Starret mics (5-6 and 6-7), some slitting saw blades, some taps, and two big drops of brass that will hopefully become cylinder heads on my Kozo build.

I could only attend the NAMES show on Saturday this year, but what a Saturday it was. The crowd was nonstop from about 8:50 am until a little after 4:30 pm.
When not running my engines I was talking to people, several from this forum. It was great to put some faces with the names.
My wife and I left at 4:30 am to get there when the hall opened up to get set up. There were very few spots left when we arrived but I managed to find a place just big enough to put out my 4 gas engines but that was enough. Once set up I had only a small amount of time to talk with some old friends and acquaintances.
The engines ran well until the Hall transistor (I think) went out on the 302, bummer. I did get to run the Holt, the V-twin and the 4 cylinder OHV engine most of the day.
I never was able to leave my spot all day as there was a constant line of viewers and questioners at the table. I tried to talk with everyone that came by but I'm sure I missed some. To those I apologize.
I brought the T5 transmission and had it out on the table. It garnered almost as much attention as my engines. Hopefully by next year it will be completed.
I want to thank all the organizers for all of their hard work in providing a venue for us to meet and exhibit our efforts.
George

I went to the show on sunday, arrived about two, Impressive stuff as usual, but a significant number of exibitors had already decamped which was disappointing.

Wayne

drwc said:
I went to the show on sunday, arrived about two, Impressive stuff as usual, but a significant number of exibitors had already decamped which was disappointing.

Wayne

That happens every year. Some people come from such a long way away that they need to peel out a little early to get home at a decent hour. I talked to a few people that were 8, 10, 12 and Ron Ginger was 16 hours away from home. Once the sunday crowd dies down, they are gone. I had to be thrown out at 3:45.

9:30 Monday evening and Im home. I got 6 hours in Sunday afternoon, then a total of 14 hours today- but that counts an hour stop at Grizzley.

As always, a great show, good to see the kind of work that is being done. It seems to me there is more original work now than in the early years- like Steves v8, the 6 cyl CAT diesel (I didnt get the guys name) I think this is the result of the available CAD tools and CNC. Of course, still lots of good work done on casting kits.

drwc said:

Wayne
That is a problem about the people leaving early, due to the economy, older people on fixed incomes, gas prices and the cost of eating and overnight lodging. Not to mention that it is the season for family things conformations and first communions. A number of exhibitors had to make some choices, as one wag told me stay another night and only have two meals a day while on the road, or 3 meals a day. He choose one less day and 3 squares. I understand as I have grown fond of 3 squares a day!

Many thanks to the NAMES crew for a fine show and a lot fun. I know a ton of work goes into the show and I really appreciate it.

We left around 2:45 on Sunday and spent the night in Auburn, IN, which was an easy run. Today we stopped in South Bend, IN, to visit the Studebaker Museum. The museum is well done and worth a visit.

We arrived home 5:30 today.

See you next year.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

I was able to shake a few hands and thank some of the setup, teardown, and operations crew but I know I didn't get to thank all of you guys that helped on a super show. A sincere thank you to all of you! It was a very busy weekend! I ran the 1/3 galloway a few times and ran the Lil' Brother almost all day Sunday. Saturday was super busy! I mainly ran the air and stirling engines on Saturday.

Didn't get away from my booth much but there were some great models on display. The Mid East Model Show in Zanesville is just a few months away so update your calendar.

http://www.deboltmachine.com/id13.html

Back