Quantcast

Myfordboy Traction Engine

Help Support HMEM:

Bob Wild

Reaction score
Hello engineering modellers. I am quite a novice in this pastime. But I am about to start building the above. I have made a couple of steam engines so far and thought I’d try something different. Any hints or tips would be most appreciated.
Bob

deverett

deverett
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Have you watched the Myfordboy videos for this engine? There are 21 and they should give you just about all the info you require.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Bob Wild

Reaction score
39C77C9F-C112-4023-A18A-96C6BDF54276.jpeg
FD37B476-8AE8-4EF5-962D-07639CA2B44E.jpeg
Thanks Dave. Yes, I’ve seen those videos and they are quite informative. But as I said earlier there are some aspects that I’m not familiar with.

I’v built the boiler and, wow, was it scary. I managed to silver solder the end caps quite neatly but in the process the solder on the fittings melted and ran all over the place.

Also, understandably, there are no instructions. The valve chest needs to be attached to the cylinder and I assume this must be silver soldered as well. I can’t figure out how to do this in a neat way, which I think is quite important as it will be most visible on the top of the machine.

Bob

deverett

deverett
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
One tip to prevent solder going where it shouldn't:
Before fluxing, rub the places where you don't want the solder to run with an ordinary lead pencil (the softer the lead the better). The solvent based Tippex also works (don't know about the water based stuff).

Dave
The Emerald Isle