Myfordboy Traction Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wild

Reaction score
Hello engineering modellers. I am quite a novice in this pastime. But I am about to start building the above. I have made a couple of steam engines so far and thought I’d try something different. Any hints or tips would be most appreciated.
Bob

39C77C9F-C112-4023-A18A-96C6BDF54276.jpeg
FD37B476-8AE8-4EF5-962D-07639CA2B44E.jpeg
Thanks Dave. Yes, I’ve seen those videos and they are quite informative. But as I said earlier there are some aspects that I’m not familiar with.

I’v built the boiler and, wow, was it scary. I managed to silver solder the end caps quite neatly but in the process the solder on the fittings melted and ran all over the place.

Also, understandably, there are no instructions. The valve chest needs to be attached to the cylinder and I assume this must be silver soldered as well. I can’t figure out how to do this in a neat way, which I think is quite important as it will be most visible on the top of the machine.

Bob

One tip to prevent solder going where it shouldn't:
Before fluxing, rub the places where you don't want the solder to run with an ordinary lead pencil (the softer the lead the better). The solvent based Tippex also works (don't know about the water based stuff).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

DDE43F62-3093-4194-9663-5DF44EC4C9EF.jpeg

Been a while since I last posted. But I didn’t give up; and here is the finished build. Quite pleased with the look but a bit disappointed that the boiler leeks. So for now it is a looking at model. One day if I can face it I’ll completely strip it down and re-solder it

2AD53460-9A11-46D1-BF16-1AC59DBCC558.jpeg

Bob, how in the world did you keep the engine mount pad square with the horn plate studs on the boiler when soldering?

With difficulty, especially as this was one of my earliest attempts at silver soldering. In the end I didn’t need to be too accurate as I modified the crankshaft and it’s bearings. So I was able to mount it all by actual measurements. Here’s what my mod looks like:

8B5ECE18-2880-4565-BBC7-2CCA1B66CE20.jpeg

Latest posts

Back