My version of J. Ridders Thermo Pulse Mobile

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlmyford

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm trying to build the Pulse Mobile,designed by J. Ridders

It's not running yet and some parts are still missing.

Here are some pics of my version.

8298191cdr.jpg

8298236uwf.jpg

8298237imp.jpg

8298238tzm.jpg

8298239vlf.jpg

8298240dky.jpg

Thanks to Kevin for his help.

Cheers,Ralph

Looks really cool!!!
Hope you get it to run!!!

You could also try and change the piston to graphite.
That may make it run!

Andrew

Hello Ralph, I see this post of yours goes back a few years but wonder if you have made progress and have the mobile running?? I have just completed building it and have the same problem! Mine doesn't run either, so wonder if you can advise. I note you have a brass piston as I also do, because I haven't found a source for the carbon material. What progress have you made with that if any? The other problem I have is to make or locate the small holding springs for the brass restrictor.
I have had difficulty with this and wonder what you may have used or made. My difficulty has been the pressure of the springs have tended to crack the test tube!! then if I use less pressure the brass restrictor moves forward by the pressure of the piston! I look forward to any advice Ralph. Cheers, Ron

because I haven't found a source for the carbon material.

I can't help with any info on this engine, but if you search ebay for 'graphite stirring rod' you'll find lots to choose from. I've made several pistons for a flamelicker from them and it works great.

Hope you get this running, it's one I have on my list to do someday.

Hello Ralph, I see this post of yours goes back a few years but wonder if you have made progress and have the mobile running?? I have just completed building it and have the same problem! Mine doesn't run either, so wonder if you can advise. I note you have a brass piston as I also do, because I haven't found a source for the carbon material. What progress have you made with that if any? The other problem I have is to make or locate the small holding springs for the brass restrictor.
I have had difficulty with this and wonder what you may have used or made. My difficulty has been the pressure of the springs have tended to crack the test tube!! then if I use less pressure the brass restrictor moves forward by the pressure of the piston! I look forward to any advice Ralph. Cheers, Ron

Hello,Ron.

No,I never had it running.
Seems like I'm not very talented in model engineering.
I've tried two other engines,one steam,one stirling and both didn't run as well.:wall:
I'm thinking about giving up this frustrating hobby.:confused:
Seeing all those pieces of art that others build,my effort to get better is like fighting against windmills.
Actually I did nothing in my workshop during the last twelve month.

Cheers,Ralph

Hello,Ron.

No,I never had it running.
Seems like I'm not very talented in model engineering.
I've tried two other engines,one steam,one stirling and both didn't run as well.:wall:
I'm thinking about giving up this frustrating hobby.:confused:
Seeing all those pieces of art that others build,my effort to get better is like fighting against windmills.
Actually I did nothing in my workshop during the last twelve month.

Cheers,Ralph

Don't feel bad, Ive been a machinist for 30 years and I built the stirling kit from lms. No friction good compression and the thing WILL NOT run. It will try to run if you get it hot enough with a torch that the base gets warm. All my steam engines run just fine. Kinda soured me on stirlings !

Hi there!
Only two things:
The steel wool is too dense. Be rarer the steel wool...Almost transparent.
The tube should be 20mm long max. and the diameter is not smaller than 5mm.

The piston should be precise sealed with low friction of course.

Best regards from Hungary!
Blade

Latest posts

Back