My slant bed CNC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooops, I started out on LinuxCNC with a Mesa ethernet card. :fan:

rodw
Are you happy with the LinuxCNC/Mesa card? It seems to be a bit hot? But summer in Brisbane is normally hot I recond

Over at the Novakon subforum on CNCZone, there have been a couple of users who have been able to replace mach3 with Tormach's PathPilot control running under Linux with Mesa card. Supposedly PP is a superb control, and the software is under a GPL license. The threads over there document the process very well for setting up for a mill. I suppose lathe should be similar.

Ooops, I started out on LinuxCNC with a Mesa ethernet card. :fan:
I envy your Linux abilities Rod! Mach is working for me but I'd rather use LinuxCNC. I've tried & couldn't fathom it. The Linux setup is too complex for my meager computing skills.:(

rodw
Are you happy with the LinuxCNC/Mesa card? It seems to be a bit hot? But summer in Brisbane is normally hot I recond

So far, I am very happy with my choice. I am using a Mesa 7i76e ethernet card. The mesa step gens are getting 50% more speed than I was expecting (21 metres per minute.) I've just configured MPG hand encoder wheels using the built in encoder drivers included for that purpose. They also have so many inputs and outputs but Iam slowly using them up. I still have to configure the plasma Torch height control which is based on mesa THCAD card that interfaces to the 7i76e.

The support from the Linuxcnc forum guys have been fantastic. There is a dedicated Palm pilot section there and I think Tormach contributed significantly to the trajectory planner. The other new feature that is important for me is the new Joint axes module that greatly improves multi stepper motor axes such as I will be using in my gantry. JA automatically squares the gantry when homing.

Way protection more or less ready.
I also did the first cut and it run very smoothly with hardly any noise. So far so good. I got up a warning when I used the lathe Wizard..FilletRadius is too big.. I did not enter any fillet radius. Any one know what is wrong. I use Mach3

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

hello very nice machine
can you tell me where you find this slide bed protection?
i also have made a cnc lathe and i need to protect my motion rails and ball screw
thanks

Ck. the fillet radius box in the rt. upper corner of the wizard. You can type in a 0 and press return. All Mach entry boxes must have an "Enter" key press to accept the new entry value.

Usually that error message simply means that the fillet radius is too large to properly join the two diameters. I think there is a default fillet value of .1 that comes up until you change to a new value & click save settings.

Great looking lathe!:cool:

Ck. the fillet radius box in the rt. upper corner of the wizard. You can type in a 0 and press return. All Mach entry boxes must have an "Enter" key press to accept the new entry value.

Usually that error message simply means that the fillet radius is too large to properly join the two diameters. I think there is a default fillet value of .1 that comes up until you change to a new value & click save settings.

Great looking lathe!:cool:

Thank you, I have entered 0.1 and 0 and "Enter" but it´s still there.

Hi
Just designed the tailstock. I was planning to weld it up by steel but may be I can bolt it together as I did with the lathe? Than I can use cast iron for the barrel housing? Otherwice I belive I need to adde bearing sleeves for the barrel. Any suggestions. Or silver soldering or brazzing?

CNC Lathe v77.jpg

Hi Poppy, some nice work done to date but have you checked that the whole unit will be stable on the support shown as there seems to be a chance of tipping over backwards with the weight of the spindle motor and toolholder fully retracted ?
xpylonracer

Hi Poppy, some nice work done to date but have you checked that the whole unit will be stable on the support shown as there seems to be a chance of tipping over backwards with the weight of the spindle motor and toolholder fully retracted ?
xpylonracer

It is very stable, there is no way it will tip. The weight is inside the legs. Yes, it´s a bit heavy. When I run the spindel at 3000 rpm it is very quiet and vib free.

Latest posts

Back