MY RESTORATION PROJECT

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don1966

Reaction score
My wife's aunt died and left my wife a sewing machine. The unit belonged to my wifes grandmother who had it for years. When we open the drawers it was like going back in time. Some of the old items found in the drawers dated back when I was a Kid. So I was inspired to restore it the best I could. It was in poor condition when we recieved it as you can see in the photos. In searching the web I found out it was made by Sears & Roebuck in the 1900's. The model is a (Minnesota model A) sewing machine. It is not complete as I would want it to be since I do not have the Logo's on it. If I can fine someone near that does air brushing I might be able to complete it. The Photos below are from start to finish and I wanted to share them with you.

Regards Don

This is a photo if the orginal machine as close to it I could find
modb01.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

DSC01712.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01814.jpg

DSC01815.jpg

Hey that's sweet Don! :bow:

Machines always look great in black!

Dave

I was gonna ask that question Stan! I was wondering if you could get either a decal or what have you for it.

Was the original gold leaf Don?

Dave

Nice job Don. I bet your wife's aunt would be very proud that you brought her machine back to life.

WOW great job. It is not often you find these old machines still on the original table and without cracked cast parts as they are quite thin and intricate. Looks great.
Brock

That turned out really nicely Don!!

I remember my grandmother used to have an old Singer sewing machine.
It disappeared into the desk when not in use.
A very cool machine!

Andrew

Very nice! I had a similar one many moons ago. Never got around to restoring it, don't know what became of it...

Stan thanks for the link however I had already been to it before and ordered an operations manual for it.

Dave the original decal was painted on just like you see on the firt photo. I wish I could find a decal for it. They do have some engraving companies here and I was thinking of vinyl decals,these companies can make that. But I think air brushing would look better.

Brian my wife was very pleased with it. I did it without her knowing and surprised her.

Thank the rest of you guys for your kind replies.

Don

Don,

Beautiful job..... That will be admired for more generations to come.... Good work!!!

Harold

Don,

That's a wonderful restoration. :bow: :bow:

What's next.................a vintage car ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob and Harold for you kind replies. Bob I am not into cars, I pretty much have a lot on my plate as it is.

Don

If I can fine someone near that does air brushing I might be able to complete it.
It probably would have been good to trace over the design that was there before the repaint. the better the visual references the easier time reproducing the design. the painting is easy and could be done with a spray can . the surface prep of the gloss paint and the decal stencil prep more of a challenge . nice work though looks great.
Tin

Tin that one photo of the model A logo is all there was to salvage. I do have software that I can touch that photo up with and produce a negative from it to make a stencil with, but I would perfer someone to do me a quality job since I went this far with it.

Don

I think a good sign maker could do it with a transfer....but I gotta think there is a cottage industry out there doing this......

Dave

Thanks Tin for the link I should be able to do something with the photo Ihave. I forgot that they make templates you an print on and make a layout with. Thanks again.

Don

Latest posts

Back