My new sub workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is MARINE plywood available where you are? This is the stuff for building boats and it can be out in all weathers. I have had some things made from it that have lasted outdoors for decades without even paint, although I can't say about how it would work in contact with ground and in your climate.

--ShopShoe

I used 18mm Sheathing board in my workshop, it's a good option where outdoor performance is required and is cheaper than marine ply, some of which, in the UK, is not as good as you'd think if you get it wet

- Nick

John,

It is only just tall enough for standing in and working towards the ridge, so no work in there, it is mainly just for out of the weather storage. For someone a bit shorter, say 5ft 8ins could work in there.
I will be disassembling my X2 mill in there though. The bits will be taken into my main shop for the machining and building of the CNC mill. I might use the hydraulic power press in there, but that normally only takes a few minutes, and I can put up with that.

SS,

I will be using marine ply from the off.

Nick,

I am limited to a max of 12mm thick due to the underfloor support and where the flooring has to go under in certain places. I looked at sheathing board but fell down on the side of ply because it is inherently more rigid than sheathing board, so because of the amount of weight that I will be storing on it, that is the only reason for my choice.

A little bit of new news, if it isn't raining, my friend Terry is coming over tomorrow to help get the roof finished, and on Wednesday we are out getting the floor cut to size, us old codgers get a 10% discount at the big hardware store on Wednesdays, so that means the marine ply will be cheaper than normal ply on the other days of the week.

I might be able to afford to eat this week.

John

Last edited:
Which of the sheds are you finding marine ply in John, most tend to stock WBP

Jason,

Stock checked B&Q, where I was going to get it cut to size and found they don't stock it in any nearby stores, so I have to come up with a new plan. What's the use of advertising it if they don't hold stock?
I will take a trip down to our local lumber yard and see what they can come up with.
I can get the ply from other big sheds, but they don't have the cutting facility.

John

Last edited:
The first is to buy a very expensive waterproof treated one, it has a layer like plastic on both surfaces and the ply is resin treated all the way through. It is used mainly for trailer floors - Already discounted because of the cost and getting it cut to the right size in time. This shed HAS to be finished within the next two weeks.
John

If any of the timber merchants near you can do shuttering ply, that's good. That's also resin treaded on both sides.

John,
I only used sheathing board for boarding out the walls, the floor is concrete. When I built the structure I sealed the inner edges of the base to the concrete and no water runs in or through it,

- Nick

I had one of those sheds a few years ago and found that the metal sheeting to be as thin as a drinks can and the sliding doors and plastic handles a complete joke. I had to seriously strengthen the whole structure and I lined the doors with 3/4" plywood and fitted 2 extra sets of stainless steel angle brackets with high security padlocks just to feel that it was reasonably secure, and I only kept my fishing gear and lawn mower in it and I live in a very low crime area so I hope that you've taken that into account.

Paul

Paul,
I don't have the same concerns as yourself, and by the hundreds of other people who have reviewed them, it seems they don't either. It has become a very strong and rigid structure since part of the roof was put on.

But anyway, everyone has their own opinions.

As for security, and I won't go into large detail. If someone wants to break into it, they will do anyway, but because my house and main workshop, and this shed soon will all be connected to my house alarm system, and it has a bite. I mount extra sirens inside, and if they can withstand the ear bleeding sound, plus a terrier at their heels, they are quite welcome to take away anything they think they can carry. Do you think you would get far carrying a small partially stripped mill or a 12 ton hydraulic press? Which are about the only things of value that will be in there.
BTW, only managed to get half the roof on today, still hoping we can get that finished and still pick up the flooring tomorrow.

John

That's fine, I was only making you aware of my experience. :thumbup:

Paul

You are quite right to do so Paul, what would the world be like if we all liked and did the same thing, Max Bygraves, Marmite on toast, train spotting.

Yuk!!!

But other people might think differently.

John

Waiting for the weather to become decent coupled with being able to have my friend to come and help me, today we managed to get the roof finished off. It was a little awkward because of the area we had fitted it into, we had to really stretch over and work from the top, as we couldn't access up one side of the shed.
But with a few choice words, everything fitted.

DSCF6207_zpsw4cyzlqw.jpg

DSCF6206_zpsoj4zm2ad.jpg

Because we have now reached this stage, I am quite capable to be left on my own to finish things off. Bank holiday tomorrow, so it will have to be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can pick up the floor and fit it.

Now back on a delayed schedule to have everything stored in there by this weekend. I told you that this would take me more than 8 hours, by the time it is ALL done, nearer to 6 weeks.

John

Last edited:
As far as I know Mark, it isn't tapered front to back, or the other way around. Maybe an hoptical dillusion.

I was going for the floor for the shed tomorrow, but a large abscess has formed under one of my dental implants, the pain causes tears in the eyes and dangley bits to retract into where they came from, so an emergency trip to the dentist is called for instead.
I don't fancy going on holiday without my teef, I just hope it can be fixed in time. I had a similar incident last year when I went to Bulgaria, one of my implant tops unscrewed and as I had no tools with me (very tiny allen key and a mini torque wrench) I couldn't put it back in, luckily three others held things in place until I got back.
A word of warning, don't get implants, I paid L-O-T-S of pennies to have them done, and they have been a pain in the gums ever since.
I should have kitted out my shop with new machines instead.

Up and out at the crack of dawn with the sparrows this morning and down to my local DIY hardware store.

I was going to fit 15mm OSB board, 8ft x 4ft, but when I got there, I found that they had 12mm exterior ply, which their web site didn't show they stocked, so I bought 3 of those instead.

A few minutes later, I was on my way with the boards cut to the sizes I wanted, FOC, and a 10% wrinkly discount because it was a Wednesday.

Twenty minutes after I got home, the plastic sheet was laid over the stainless steel floor supports and the ready cut sheets were down.

A very nice fit indeed.

DSCF6210_zpsirykixsg.jpg

The offcuts are perfect for making shelves, so nothing will be going to waste. I won't be fitting shelves in here as I have free standing racking instead.
I won't be fitting the doors until the very end, as we have a lot to move in there over the next few days and they might get in the way.

Now back on schedule.

John

The final leg.

My friend came around early this morning to help me get the heavy stuff into the shed. Just over an hour and everything I needed to move was moved and put into it's correct position.

DSCF6213_zpsdern1hzk.jpg

Everything fitted exactly.

DSCF6214_zps6rnuwc8m.jpg

Only a few more bits to put into plastic containers from in my shop and and put onto the lower shelves.

DSCF6216_zpshpjbff4f.jpg

Job done, except for me to fit the security system and internal lighting.

John

Latest posts

Back