My man cave

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuscan8

Reaction score
Hi

Just thought I would post some pictures of my new lathe. I know combination machines are frowned upon but space limitations and all that. I got it from Amadeal and was very impressed with the service. The machine did need some work and setting up though. The DRO is a massive bonus, couldn't do without one now ;D

lathe 1.png

Lathe 2.png

Lathe 3.png

Lathe 4.png

I know combination machines are frowned upon

frowned upon no. first choice in most cases again no. IMHO we here at HMEM do not put down anyone's choice of machine. and do not judge or put anyone down for the machines they own or the choices that are made.
Looks like a nice little shop and looking forward to projects.
Tin

Tin said it perfectly. Many folks would rather have separate machines, but if you are aware of the short-comings and decide you can work with them, it may not be the first choice, but it's way ahead of whatever is in second place!

Chuck

Like the others said, it may not be the first choice for some, but where space comes at a premium, 3 in 1s definitely fill the need.

Oh, and a working machine in your possesion is far better than no machine at all!!

Nice, real nice, I just got one it the Smithy 1220XL, been just getting used to playing, they are neat and don't take up much room, yours is a lot nicer, love that DRO, someday, Lathe Nut

A beautiful looking machine. Certainly nothing to " frown upon"

Thanks for your comments. Its a Chinese machine and as I said after some attention it is very accurate ( probable down to the DRO ). I need to get an alarm clock in there with me as I seem to be short on sleep as time does seem to vanish when I get in there ;D

Yeah, don't put down anyone's machines here. Look at all those crummy engines Rudy made with his 9" manual South Bend.

welcome to the forum . showing photos of your shop is a great start. If you please post an intro in the welcome section tell us a bit about yourself and your interests in model engines.
that way we can give you a proper welcome .
Tin

Hi tuscan8

Congrats on your new toy.

I also own a 3-in-1 machine although a bit older. It has served me well. As you start playing with your machine you will realise some of the drawbacks of these combination machines and you will learn to work around these drawbacks to reach your final result.

A couple of years ago I got myself an X3 mill and the mill portion of my 3-in-1 has rarely been used since. I still use the lathe portion of the machine regularly. Even if I had to buy a new larger capacity lathe I will still keep my trusty combination machine.

Vince

HI:),
First of all WelcomewEc1 To The Forum. I don't see why Combination Machines are frowned upon, there is nothing wrong with them. The Combo Machine that You have is actually a Nice looking Machine. I would have liked to see some better Pics of it, for some reason I can't enlarge Your Pics. The DRO's are definately a useful Aid, I have one on My Metal Lathe.
All The Best Stew.

Last edited:
No Worry! Mate .You made a wise choice to get started. I bought a Japanese Sakai Combo with Mill attached.

A combo has its advantage over regular lathe.

Welcome.

I too have a 3 in 1. I like the milling piece on yours better. Having said that this is my first machine that I'm learning on I love being able to make thing! Mine is a Knuth DBF400 similar to a Smithy Granite. Please ignore the mess!

WP_000128.jpg

Hi Wolframore,
You have a much bigger machine than mine. Am thinking of buying a Band Saw to cut bar stocks. At the age of 69,manual hacksaw saps me.
With awning over my head and open sided,some rain water gets in on a rough day. Put up wall with window would help but machineshop gets stuffy.Working time is 9---12 noon and 4pm---6pm.

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gus

The view from your workshop looks better than min though. I have a roller shutter or a brick wall to look at :)

Steve

HI Tuscan8,
Thanks for the Close Up Picks, the Machine looks Good. Did the Machine come with the Leadscrew Guard already fitted or did You put it on later?.
All The Best Stew

Hi Tuscan8

Frowned upon definitely no.

Serious machine envy definitely Yes ! it's gorgeous wish I had one.

Gus, nice to see a pic of your shop, I guess freezing your bits off in the workshop 'aint a problem in Singapore unlike us Brits and the view is indeed lovely.

Regards Mark

HI Tuscan8,
Thanks for the Close Up Picks, the Machine looks Good. Did the Machine come with the Leadscrew Guard already fitted or did You put it on later?.
All The Best Stew

Hi Stew

The guards came fitted. I see you are in the UK, might be worth giving Amadeal a call as they do all the spares for the machines and may be able to supply some to you.

Cheers

Steve

Back