My Little workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

You have a beautifully organized and tidy shop.
A Me-Ford lathe. Sorry, most Brits can't say "my".
Are you doing mainly woodworking? I noticed a few saws and a router.
I am curious about the building structure though, because most windows have a lentil over them. Are you in a shed? What I see would not be accepted by the building code for house construction.
Just curious....

Morning :)
thanks for the comments, I do have a number of wood working tools and I did try my hardest to get into in but unfortunately I can't cut wood straight to save myself! so I use it for the odd job around the house and building the workshop.. I am 90% metal and model engine building now. When we bought the house that's pretty much how it came and it did have a code of compliance.. I have boxed around the window with tool boarding.. not quite sure though what you mean by a lentil? but you got me thinking!! I will take a closer look tonight :confused:

Morning :)
thanks for the comments, I do have a number of wood working tools and I did try my hardest to get into in but unfortunately I can't cut wood straight to save myself! so I use it for the odd job around the house and building the workshop.. I am 90% metal and model engine building now. When we bought the house that's pretty much how it came and it did have a code of compliance.. I have boxed around the window with tool boarding.. not quite sure though what you mean by a lentil? but you got me thinking!! I will take a closer look tonight :confused:

Hi slaurenson,

Gus share the sawing problem.Can't cut straight with hand saw---metal or wood. Followed RodW ,bought a Makita Portable Bandsaw,mount it upright to cut squared up and straight. Now no longer panting away after a manual hacksawing of 2" Mild Steel Bars. No longer having cold feet when manual sawing required for projects. Gus now cut metal bars in 30 secs to a minute or two.
Went for Japanese Quality.The Chinese Bandsaws no on market yet.

Gus Teng.

IMG_1299.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh i do like that idea, a metal band saw would be perfect, I am the same - I cut the metal the best I can by hand (not very well) and then true it up in the lathe!! I am over the panting and sweating for cutting round bar, the old engineers on the steam tug I work on always laugh at me killing my hack saw blades trying to cut straight and fast.

I am quite partial to Makita tools, I might have to see if I can slip it in the CFO budget for this year.. saying that the Mill is taking presidence (and I have sign off for that to)

Hi slaurenson,
Followed RodW ,bought a Makita Portable Bandsaw,mount it upright to cut squared up and straight.

Just to clarify gus followed my lead on a table but my saw is a 6x4 metal bandsaw (well actually its a 6x5 - going up one model from the bottom always seems to be a good thing and I am pleased I did)

Ohhh i do like that idea, a metal band saw would be perfect, I am the same - I cut the metal the best I can by hand (not very well) and then true it up in the lathe!! I am over the panting and sweating for cutting round bar, the old engineers on the steam tug I work on always laugh at me killing my hack saw blades trying to cut straight and fast.

I am quite partial to Makita tools, I might have to see if I can slip it in the CFO budget for this year.. saying that the Mill is taking presidence (and I have sign off for that to)

If you can afford the space and the money, you would be better off getting a 6x4 metal saw as the cutting speed is more suited to cutting metal but Gus's home brewed one is a great idea. A variable speed power supply might make it work better.

I will say that I need to pull the saw out into some clear space every time I use it and have put it on wheels to allow this. My shop is only 2.4m x 3.8m (8'x12').

Reactions: gus
Great looking shop! I personnally like a smaller shop, less walking around looking for stuff;).

take that LH wall out and dig back under the house a bit more ....Then you can fit a Mill !

Reactions: gus
Hi Rob,

I did seriously consider that idea in the beginning!

Well the time has come that the workshop is just to small, (and the house to big) and thankfully my wonderfully understanding wife agrees we need more shed space and less house space. So we have bought a new home up in a place just north of Auckland called Kaukapakapa. we don't move in until end of September so plenty of time to pack up.

I don't have sizes yet but to give you an idea, it's a 4 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms and the shed is as big as the house. I also have a lean to shed at the back which will work great for a foundry.

"Like a kid in a candy store"

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

Hi,

You have a beautifully organized and tidy shop.
A Me-Ford lathe. Sorry, most Brits can't say "my".
Are you doing mainly woodworking? I noticed a few saws and a router.
I am curious about the building structure though, because most windows have a lentil over them. Are you in a shed? What I see would not be accepted by the building code for house construction.
Just curious....

Why would you want an onion over the window? :confused::hDe: And yes, OP has a neat shop. Envious!

Latest posts

Back