My first engine attempt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jixxerbill

Reaction score
You guys make it look so easy!! But i still have to try one.. I picked a plan from little machine shop called an oscillator engine. If i do something that dont look right please point it out to me. It will take a while to get it done because im not home much but im really excited to try it. Also it wont be like the beautiful pieces of work like you guys do, but I can hopefully get better with time.. I made the crank wheel tonight, it looks a little funny because i sprayed it with wd-40 in case i get called out to work before i get back to shop (garage not climate controlled).. Dont laugh to hard lol

photo-2_zps86e69180.jpg

Hello, I wish you all the best in your engine attempt. This site has a lot of great people who are doing outstanding stuff.
I am new to this site for the past 3 months now and have learned alot of things. Although I do not own a lathe or mill now, I will be better for this site once I do. I am making a scale of the 1886 Benz, the engine will never run, but I am so happy just to see all the parts turn; it is a great feeling.

From what I have read, no one here will laugh at your prgress, only great guys here.

Great start jixxerbill. Looking forward to see more parts when you find the time to get to your shop.

Vince

Got a little more done today. I had to order some aluminum for the rest of the parts, i have some 2"x2" but i need 1"x1" for the cyl. I might try to cut a piece of it tomorrow and work on the cyl.
photo11_zps94b0f245.jpg

Well i went ahead and whittled down some of my 2"x2" stock so i could make the cylinder and the upright.. I fly out in the morning to Colorado for our annual safty meeting, when i get back its out the door for work a couple weeks. My metal will be here for the flywheel and base before i go to work but i wont have time to do much..Thanks all for the encouragement...Bill
photo12_zps3432d789.jpg

It looks good. Hope we can see it run very soon :)

This was my first engine as well. It looked like hell but the sense of accomplishment was great.

Five years later the projects are more complex but rush isn't the same. Soon steam will be giving way to the challenge of an IC engine. The personal moments for myself in this hobby:

- The first run of any engine (the same one you're building)
- The first run of an engine on live steam (McCabe's EZ engine)
- The first run of a Stirling engine (On of Grizzly's kits)

Well as luck would have it, i had/have plenty of time to finish the engine.. I hade to make the flywheel twice, i forgot i had to thread half of the center hole... I drilled straight thru on the first one to shaft diameter... It runs but its quite apparent i need to work on setting things up square before i drill or machine, IE the wobbling flywheel...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVidmWdzCKM[/ame]

Just finished my first one of the same kind day before yesterday. :) Great little first engine kit. I will post some video later.

Keep up the good work,
Dru

Congrats on your engine. We all started with things that had a wobble once in a while. Keep at it and soon we will see a v8 out of ya

Dave

Don't worry about the wobbling flywheel. She runs so close enough. Just make the next one a little straighter and then the next after that. Over time the urge to rush will go away and you won't mind spending a little extra time and things will get better. Your doing good.

Looks and runs good for your first build.

Wobbling flywheels seem to go away as your experience in making them grows. Most of us have had 'em.

Cheers,
Phil

Congrats on your engine. We all started with things that had a wobble once in a while. Keep at it and soon we will see a v8 out of ya

Dave

Don't worry about the wobbling flywheel. She runs so close enough. Just make the next one a little straighter and then the next after that. Over time the urge to rush will go away and you won't mind spending a little extra time and things will get better. Your doing good.

Looks and runs good for your first build.

Wobbling flywheels seem to go away as your experience in making them grows. Most of us have had 'em.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for all the kind words!! With the likes of all the heavy hitters above,I feel like there is nothing i can't do !! Thanks again...Bill

Latest posts

Back