My First Build!!! Or (Will It Ever Get Done)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I made the piston and piston rod assembly to day. I used steel for the piston and
1/16th music wire and silver soldered them. My first ever silver solder job. ;D I made 2 assemblies just in case. ;) One assembly I had to do over. But it is good now.

I used white vinegar as a pickle and it worked great. I left the parts in for approx 45 min. and the wiped off very clean.

I used a standard Bernzamatic propane torch ait worked well to on the 1/4 in. piston and 1/16 in wire.

I did learn a lot about small hole drilling, went thru five 1/16th drill bits before I learned though. :wall: :wall:

Ron

Got some more done with Pics this time. ;D

I have developed a great deal of respect for those of you that build the small stuff. I didn't know how really difficult it was to machine these small parts til I tried it. MY hat goes off to all of you. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I made 3 spool valves to get 1!! (See pics)

Pic 1 my first try. Dimensions are off :wall:

Pic2 fell apart as I was turning it!!

Pic 3 Success finally but need a lot of clean up.

Next post has Cyl assembly

Ron

Spool Valve1.jpg

Spool Valve2.jpg

Spool Valve3.jpg

I quit trying to turn a one piece valve and went with a built up one of music wire and brass silver soldered together.

Here are the Cyl pics.

Ron

Cyl1.jpg

Cyl2.jpg

Ron,
Nice work. You're doing some fine work there. Don't sweat the time...it's all good (or should be). Remember, no deadlines in the hobby shop ;)

Cheers,
Phil

Philjoe5 said:
Ron,
Nice work. You're doing some fine work there. Don't sweat the time...it's all good (or should be). Remember, no deadlines in the hobby shop ;)

Cheers,
Phil

Agreed,

Keep up the good work Ron :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I tried building the valve using a threaded rod between the two rounds. Unfortunately there was no way to get the rod straight enough so that the valves would fit into the bore correctly. Hopefully the wire is flexible enough.

kvom

The music wire is very bendable after it is heated in the silver soldering portion. In fact I wish it was stiffer.

Ron

I haven't abandoned the engine, just been making tooling. I am not satisfied with the valve I made. To do better I figure I need a set of collets. I cant afford to buy them so I'm making them. Will be posting in the tools section as soon as I can get it all up loaded.

Ron

Latest posts

Back