My Elbow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blogs,

you sparked my memory. A small thrust bearing under the bolt heads that holds the cylinders to the base would let the cylinders rotate easier. The cylinders will lift away from their bases and cause friction at the bolt head. It seems that the more air pressure you apply the more friction is applied on the bolt head. I found 20/50 oil works well for lube and running the engine in a sheet pan will keep the bench clean.

Kenny

That Elbow Engine sounds like quite a challenge... it's on my to-do list. ;D

1Kenny, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought about the center axis maybe not being coplanar; will check it.
Blogs, thanks for your thoughts too. I have it running down to about 12-15 PSI without a flywheel, so I think I'm pretty close. The cylinder is leaking only one side so I think it's axis isn't perp to the valve port block. I'm just going to try to close it up without creating any binding. I do have some side to side adjustment for the valve port block, but think I'll open up the holes so I'll have a little more.
I'll look up the old material. The reason I mentioned those ideas was for my next engine. I want to see what's possible. I'm thinking maybe I'll do one with a longer stroke, experiment with different materials and so on

Mark

Finally got the flywheel done.
It runs pretty good, but is an air hog. Still leaks between the cylinders and mounting points.
I'll try tuning it a little more, but I'm pretty much done with this one. I want to do one with a longer stroke and experiment with different materials so stay tuned. It will be a while, I want to finish my ball screw installation on my CNC mill first

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk183/mccoates/?action=view&current=elbowcomp_0001.flv

Mark

Looks and runs great!

nice job.

Latest posts

Back