MXL Belt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has ever joined a belt of any kind. I want to use a length of MXL .080 pitch pelt for a project. The only sources that I have found will sell belts in 1/8 - 3/16 - 1/4 widths. The belt is available by the foot in widths up to 1/2. I would need to join the ends of the 1/2 inch belt. The width is for looks mostly. I would like to avoid running 2 - 1/4 inch belts. That would look like cr@&.

I thought if I could shave the belt the right way, I might be able to use some rubber cement or maybe some super glue to create an overlapping joint. If the material is rubber, could the 2 pieces be "ironed" together?

How do you join belt purchased by the foot.

Why would anybody sell belt by the foot and not sell circles!!!!!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#mxl-series-timing-belts/=6w0xza

I will be using It for the blower belt for this model. When the straight 8 is complete, this one might be next. It has a 5/8 bore and stroke and the block is about 5 inches long. Good size for us with smaller machines.

untitled.jpg

in the UK Loctite make an O ring kit which butt joints a length of nitrile cord to make an O ring the adhesive is Loctite 406 an instant adhesive similar to cyano I have used it and it makes a very strong joint

Steve, I have glued rubber belting together with great success. I would miter the ends of the belt to get a greater surface area for the glue. What I end up with is a slightly stiff spot in the belt, but when pulled to the breaking point it will break in a different (non glued) spot.

hope this helps.

Kel

I almost forgot. The glue I used was regular CA glue from the hobby shop.

SA Belting Supply in Durban, RSA cut belts to size. Any supplier of toothed belts should have the tool to slice belts of a sausage, which is how they are supplied from the manufacturer.
Ant

The belt stock is used not to make loops but in places where the ends are secured to a part you want to move on a guide for instance. But, it's still driven but a motor with a pulley on it.

Latest posts

Back