Moving sale find

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-m

Reaction score
Friend of mine leaving the area wanted it gone came with a box of extras, Was happy to help him out @ 200.00 $
Dave
DSC03942.jpg

DSC03943.jpg

You did good Dave, you wont get hurt at that price ever. :bow:

Great Find! I remember drooling over one of these at the local Sears Roebuck store way back when Atlas was still in business and Sears was carrying these lathes. I think they were priced around $300 or maybe less and that was an unimaginable fortune to me back in those days.

Chuck

Great find!

I had one jut like it for almost 10 years and if you worked within it's capabilities...it was a good lathe.

Dave

I have one identical to it in my garage. You got a great deal.

I have the bushing head model of that lathe. I sometimes think that I would like a larger lathe, but the Caftsman/Atlas 618 has always been able to do what I've asked of it. Enjoy.
Alan

my65pan
Glad you have one cuz I have a question. Is your pin for locking unlocking the back gear have a detent or do you have to unlock it by unscrewing the grub?
Dave

Dave,
What I think you are asking is... "does the pin that mates the index gear (that's what I call it) to the spindle pulley have a detent?" Yes it does. There are two holes in the index gear. One to lock the gear to the spindle and one for the detent.
On my machine, the grub screw that locks the gear to the spindle used to work loose at times. I cleaned it real good and used lock tight (blue/medium strength) on the grub screw. So far, so good.
Alan

Alan
Yes the the pin for the index is on a detent and seems fine the pin I'm referring is to lock and unlock the the spindle when using the back gear. On this unit there is only a lonely little set screw with no detent spring or ball to keep it company.
I haven't done a real good investigation as time has been short. I have run the lathe and it is nice and smooth and seems as thought it has not had much use. I have seen several ways of mounting the motor behind and under the jack shaft can you show me a pic of how yours is mounted?
Dave

A beauty! NICE! ;D

Isn't it sad that when Sears sold these, it was an era of DIY, before our "disposable" culture evolved, and men and boys would get excited thinking about what they could do with these. Now even our consumer tools are plastic, disposable, and if you showed a picture of that machine to 100 teenage boys and asked them "What is this for?", I'd say 99 of them wouldn't have a clue, while they reached for their iPod to turn up the volume. :-\

Latest posts

Back