Moving Machinery and Stairs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Reaction score
Hi all,
In a week or so I will be collecting a metalworking powered hacksaw.
It's going in the shed, but to get it there it needs to go down 12 steps, through the house, and down another 12 steps.
Is there any methods that I can use to negotiate the steps?
I don't have an exact weight, but 2 people wont be able lift it, mechinaical assistance will be needed.
Also, the machine can't be broken down at all as far as I am aware
here is a photo
SAW%2520Q%26S%2520No6IMG_1117.jpg

Thanks

Matt

That looks like the exact same one we have at work; you don't want it on your foot!

Safety first, wear hard toed shoes/boots, never let gravity get between the weight and something solid with you in the middle.

I think I'd try to slide it down some scaffold boards retarded by a chain block/block and tackle affair anchored on something very solid. Take the side panels and suds tank off and rope through the body for a firm grip on the weight.

Remove everything which can be removed, and that which moves such as the head strap or tie down.

Be safe.

Al

Matt,

I think your best method would be to make some sort of wooden sledge to drag it around on, after the saw has been firmly attached to it. Looking at it, you might be able to utilise the screw down points on the main casting to bolt it to a couple of wooden runners (3x3 or 4x4), just make sure you put good angles on the front and back of the runners, a stout length of rope wrapped around a post or tree and a few strong bods should be able to cope, and have something soft at the bottom of the steps just in case it runs away (you can borrow my missus for the day if you want).

John

Thats very unkind John - shame on you !

John S

Bogstandard said:
I think your best method would be to make some sort of wooden sledge to drag it around on, after the saw has been firmly attached to it. Looking at it, you might be able to utilise the screw down points on the main casting to bolt it to a couple of wooden runners (3x3 or 4x4)

Second John's advice above, furthermore on the flat, take a leaf out of the Egytpian's papyrus and use rollers from thick walled pipe, broomstick or barstock, it makes life very simple. Just don't use the whip too liberally on your slaves ;D

If there is a doorway handy you can put a 4x4 horizontally across the uprights to make a strongback for your belaying point on the 'descent'.

Most important have some beer or other appropriate beverage on hand to pay your workforce with on completion of the job and maybe have one yourself!

We want need 'in progress' pictures of whichever method you choose.

I looks similar to my brute. The cutting head and base should come off with (relative) ease.

At least you can be pretty confident that no one's gonna pinch it. ;)

I helped moved a heavy lathe into a basement shop once.

We used length of steel I beam padded with heavy plank wood across the
door way, and 2 X 8 wood planks on the steps for a sliding platform.
4 men and a 2 ton electric winch borrowed from a neighbors Jeep took it down
slowly and safely.

Rick

All good advice lads .......... as usual ...... :bow:

Matt ........... just make sure you ain't gonna move house in a hurry, I suspect getting it out will be a ***** compared to getting it in ::) :eek: ;D

Good Luck ;)

CC

Hi
I remember helping a mate move a big James Lang lathe .
We had it on some rollers with a turfor winch fastend to a pipe across a door frame ,
The lathe did not move but we pulled the wall down
John

Latest posts

Back