more timesaver

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldben

Reaction score
Hi I have found the only supplier of TIMESAVER lapping compound in the UK minimum quantity 1lb tin @ £51 so will be limited to one grade any suggestions which grade would be the most general purpose
Ben

Hello Ben, apparently the stuff comes in two 'flavors', that being Yellow and Green. The yellow appears to be formulated for the softer metal alloys such as brass, allie, copper etc. The green label is a bit more course and is better suited for steels, cast iron, stainless and the like. The kind that you purchase would seem to depend upon what materials you will be consistently using it on. I'm guessing here that the yellow label *could* be used on steels but would merely take longer to get the desired results, don't know for certain. Perhaps a tele call or an email inquiry to the manufacturer or distributor would help in your decision making.

BC1
Jim

thanks Bearcar phoned the only suplier in UK and the rereply" was we only sell it dont use it ".I will try to find the manufaturers email address
Ben

Timesaver makes a trial kit that is available here in the US from McMaster Carr; it includes a small tin of each grit both green and yellow. It is the perfect size for the modle engineer. IIRC it cost around $50.00 USD.

When I use the Timesaver I take a very small amount and mix it well with a few drops of light machine oil. The amount in the small tins will last many years and if you go through a bunch of one grit then that is probably the one to get the 1lb tin of :-X.

Dave

thanks guys I hope to visit California in the Autumn(fall) so I might be able to buy a sample kit then in the meantime its brass polish and elbow grease
\ben

Latest posts

Back