Model Preservation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodbuilder

Reaction score
I am just getting everything set up to start my first model. So the question is how do you preserve the look after years of being on a shelf? Do you coat the brass, steel, and aluminum or do you just let it age and clean it up before running again?

Good luck with your first model.
Before anyone can answer you question fully they really need to know a bit more about what you are going to build and then what you are going to do with it. I have model engines that I run and ones that I have for display and both types need different treatment to keep them looking ok.
I don't wish this to sound negative, but remembering my first efforts, I needed to concentrate on getting a good finish first - preserving it came way down the line.
If you are looking to paint your model I can recommend the book ' How (not) to Paint a Locomotive' ISBN 978-0-9553359-0-7. (no connection and it doesn't need to be a loco)

Well I guess I did not ask the question correctly. I am talking about he Flywheel, Cranks, and Arms. I know what to do with the internals, I am speaking of the aesthetics of metal once its polished, I do not want to paint it. I want to leave the brass and aluminum at its natural but polished look. Does this explain it a little better?

I asked a similar question some time back as i have finished a couple of engines and spent ages on the polishing wheel getting a good shine on ally and brass only for it to start looking a bit dull after a while .
The answers i got back from the forum members was basically unless you lacquer or paint your model you need to just polish now and then .

Rob

Back