Model multi pole Generator plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
HI

Years ago a company listed in "Live Steam" as D&M had drawings and castings for a multipole generator model.

Does anybody have a line on a set of plans I can purchase for this or one like it?

Thanks!

Dave

Thanks Jason,

That may be it. It sure looks like it.

I'd like something that looks like that but is half the size...like 3 1/2" instead of 7"

I can Engineer it, if I have something to go by.

Dave

Thanks for the interest and support Steve....I'd like to direct drive this with a Potty Popcorn....right between the bearing pedestals.

I think it would like nice

Would like to do it as a permanent magnet alternator but have the old look.

I'd come up with a scale street light or something to run with it. Maybe just an LED.

Dave

I think the Cotswold one is about the size you are after.

I have heard of bicycle light dynamos being built into scale looking casings so that may be another option

I've seen guys put three and five pole DC motors from Slot & RC cars into authenic looking castings.

Some of the newer RC motors are permanent magnet "brushless" - three phase - which of course generate three phase output when used as a generator.

Ken

Ken I said:
Some of the newer RC motors are permanent magnet "brushless" - three phase - which of course generate three phase output when used as a generator.

That is the route I would take if I were doing this and the kit is definitely unobtainable.
The BLDC motors for RC use also have high pole counts to suit the look of the generator.
It's also reasonably simple to rewind for single phase output.

/// said:
The BLDC motors for RC use also have high pole counts to suit the look of the generator.
It's also reasonably simple to rewind for single phase output.

R/C type brushless motors usually have 12 or 14 poles....

Rewinding for a single phase output means disassembling and removing the stator from its carrier..not for the faint hearted having already tackled this...

Easiest thing is to add six diodes in a 3 phase bridge config to change it to DC...
Just my 2c.... :)

Thank you all!

I will continue my research in the area's you all have described. The key will be to not over power such a small engine, but have nice proportions. That engine is so nicely proportioned, I don't want to ruin that.

Dave

John Rudd said:
Rewinding for a single phase output means disassembling and removing the stator from its carrier..

True, however I think the idea had progressed to using a pilfered stator in an authentic looking casing, requiring disassembly anyway.

Taking the idea even further, and making it a Dynamo rather than an alternator... use the stator from an Outrunner BLDC (much easier to rewind) and make an armature with a commutator and brushes wrangled from an old drill/grinder/whatever... to make it look something like this:
Very cool!
IMG_3921.jpg

I'm liking this idea more and more, think I might have to have a go at it myself! :big:

/// said:
True, however I think the idea had progressed to using a pilfered stator in an authentic looking casing, requiring disassembly anyway.

Taking the idea even further, and making it a Dynamo rather than an alternator... use the stator from an Outrunner BLDC (much easier to rewind) and make an armature with a commutator and brushes wrangled from an old drill/grinder/whatever..

I'm liking this idea more and more, think I might have to have a go at it myself! :big:

Me too...In fact anything that would yield a stator would suffice, old backup tape drives from computer servers spring to mind, they vary in sizes that would make a doable motor without incurring great cost...or how about the motor rotor from a power tool? problem there is the smaller size of motor laminations and the need to strip off the old windings ( been there done it, its a pain! )

This is great that the "itch" is starting here! Just remember we have to size these accordingly. The Potty in my case is a tiny engine.....I won't be running the lap top with it, that's for sure!

:big:

Dave

Jasonb said:
I think the Cotswold one is about the size you are after.

I have heard of bicycle light dynamos being built into scale looking casings so that may be another option

Tire driven bicycle Dynamos are friction driven from the tire. This requires it be spun very fast to produce full power. They are also designed not to be taken apart without completely destroying it in the process. Bicycle Hub Dynamos operate at low speed but they cost a lot and again can't be disassembled without destruction. If you want a small cheap (perhaps free) Dynamo look no further than a discarded or yard sale computer printer or a flatbed scanner. Rip it apart and dig out it's stepper motor. Here is a video of one in operation.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9emjJxXZ0c[/ame]

This link provides you with the information required to turn the multiphase AC output of a stepper motor into usable DC.
http://autonopedia.org/renewable_energy/Generators/Generating_Electricity_with_Stepper_Motors.html

That is attractive ! and apparently not overpowering....I would wonder if it could be made to "look" better....

Dave

oh and by the way.....where's Zee?

SetupforZee.jpg

He was looking at building one of these at one point....

Dave

Actually Zee was looking at this picture as inspiration

dynamo2.jpg

dynamo3.jpg

Hi Dave,
I see the words like Generator and Alternator tossed around. I am talking about the ones in HD for the home residence. and so. What is the difference between the two or are the booth the same? Did You ever had to use the one at Home?
Hilmar?

Back