model engine fuel?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_1821

Reaction score
I'm almost to the point of completing my V twin hoglet build, i'm just finishing off the valve lifters and then it's a mtter of wiring up and testing!

I'm wondering what fuel people use, as it's a dry running engine?

Do you use the nitro fuels or do you mix petrol and oil......? I'm sure i've read something about that somewhere but I cannot find it anywhere now i actually need the information!

Hello neil.
Are you using Viton o-rings on the pistons? If so use plain gas with a couple of drops of oil mixed in. not to much or it will smooooke bad.
I have buildt the Hoglet and the vitonrings hold up quite good. its important that the cyl.liners have a mirror-like finish.

CS

Neil---You can do as Crankshafter says, and use automotive gasoline, but the exhaust stinks big time. A lot of us use Coleman fuel (Naptha gas) as the exhaust from it has very little odour . If you have a Viton ring on the cylinder, use a 50:1 gas/oil mixture.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah i've use the Viton O rings on the pistons. I've had a look at the Colemans fuel and it's pretty expensive over here, roughly £8 a litre so i may try it on the petrol and mix in a few drops of oil, I can't imagine it'll smell any worse than a 2 stroke and I quite like the smell of those!

Hopefully post a video in the completed projects section when it's finished and running :)

I Australia we have Shellite which is the same as coleman fuel but cheaper because it is not associated with a brand name. It was traditionally used by plumbers in blowtorches and soldering irons. you can get it at the hardware in the same type of bottle as metho, turps etc

Crankshafter, I am also building the Hoglet and have questions about the sizing of the piston groove.
Can you share your dimensions?
I have a feeling, just a hunch not supported by any experience that dimensioning the groove following the standard formulas given by the manufacturer will result in too high a friction. Standard design call for 20% radial compression of the O-ring crosssection but I think is too much.

Any real data from working engines out there?

Latest posts

Back