Milling machine options??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wla421

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking a getting a hobby mill to go along with my lathe.

I have been looking at a Rotwerk mill and a Optimum Vario BF 20 L.

Does anyone have and experience with either of the two and comments about them?

I am leaning toward the Vario mill, just from looking at them I think that the Vario is a better choice but I would like some input before I make a bad choice.

Oh yea, I am in Germany and I can go to the Optimum Factory in Bamburg to get one.

George

George:
Welcome to HMEM.
The Rotwerk EFM 200 DS Is esentialy the same Seig X-2 mini mill that is made in china and sold all over the world in different colors and with diffferent name labels. In America grizzly imports and harbor freight to name a couple.It is widely used in the hobby shops of the world. I have had one for 8 years and it has provided good service. deburring the ways and adjusting the gibs is essential. It looks like they have fitted it with German electronics and a few other little cosmetic changes. The x-2 is a good machine but expect to do the final fit and finish to make it smooth when you crank the handles.

The Optimum Vario BF 20 L. looks like a nice machine. Is it imported as well or German made ? the plus side is the motor power is twice the size so you can do more work in less time at least in theory. the one down side I see is the spindle is smaller, only an M2 taper. so this may limit tooling options some.
Please add your location to your sig line or the avatar area so we are reminded of what part of the world you hail from. I can do this if you need help.
Either machine should get you started. Hope this helps
Tin

Simple, get the best quality and the biggest that you can afford and have room for. Bigger is generally better up to a point, you don't need a Bridgeport to make small model engines but they are much more stable and nicer to use.

The RF45 type mill is better then the Seig type mills for capacity and rigidity and is still small enough to fit in a small shop.

Hallo.
Living in Germany as well,I can tell you that there's a lot of information about these milling machines on
http://www.cncecke.de/
Btw.The Optimum is a Chinese,but the best quality from Asia,AFAIK.
Regards,Ralph

I have a Optimum F45. It´s a Chinese made machine with a German warranty. It´s quite a good, sturdy machine and hasn't given me any problems (yet) :)

Thanks for the replys. I do beleive that I will go with the Vario Mill.

Tin......I updated my sig line to show where I live.

Ralph.......I went to the link you provided.......I am having a terrible time trying to resigter....

George

wla421 said:
Thanks for the replys. I do beleive that I will go with the Vario Mill.

Tin......I updated my sig line to show where I live.

Ralph.......I went to the link you provided.......I am having a terrible time trying to resigter....
George

Hallo.
To say it by the words of the Governator:
No pain,no gain. ;D
Regards,Ralph

I bought recently a BF-20L from germany seller, I'm Italian..., and The Optimum Vario BF 20 L is a nice machine. Instead his spindle, M2 taper, not have limit tooling options using ER32 . I'm really happy with!!!
Cheers
Paolo

Back