Milling arbor - how to drill and tap it

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlasdairM

Reaction score
I need a 2MT B16 arbor with 3/8 BSW for drawbar for a keyless chuck for my milling machine. I already happen to have a 2MT B16 arbor which has a tang on (for a drill press).

The arbor I am trying to adapt is from Warco - their item no. 8139A as shown at http://www.warco.co.uk/productimages/documents/P103.pdf.

I have tried to drill a 4mm hole in the end of the arbor through the tang before cutting the tang off. so that I can then drill a larger hole to tap it for the drawbar, but it is extremely hard and none of my tooling seems to make any inroads. The drill bits I have used made a lot of smoke and have been blunted :eek: - I have tried various speeds and use cutting oil.

If I attack it with my angle grinder to remove the tang, will it be "softer" under the tang for me to drill and tap it?

Anyone have any bright ideas please?! :D

Regards, A

Hi,Alisdair,I had the same problem,trying to cut the tang off a reducing sleeve.
They must be hardened to some degree,so I asked a friend to chuck it in his open fire, and let it cool with the ashes overnight.This worked very well.I was able to remove the tang with a hacksaw without a problem.In other words,it needs to be annealed before you can work it.

BP - many thanks for this. Will anneal it and see if drilling it becomes any easier ;)

Regards, A

Latest posts

Back