Mill Quill Ligthing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just in Hobby Lobby and was looking for some Prussian blue. On the Isle, I noticed two different ring florescent light bulbs. One was about 3.5-4" in diameter. I have not seen your light, but they also have clip on light fixtures for it. The fixtures run the same $30. Hope this is helpful.

Hey Cedge, I just wanted others to know about the difficulty or impossibility of getting replacement parts. I for one feel if I can't get replacemnt bulbs, then I don't want to waste good money on something that can't be fixed. Being on a fixed income has changed my way of thinking.

Hugh...
Not a problem I was just chuckling out loud at how this thread refuses to fade away....(grin)

Steve

Seeing the thread won't go away, I'll throw in my 2 cents. The outfit listed below seems to carry the bulb you're looking for. They mention that this bulb may not fit all lamp units, but they give the dimensions, and, if you look at the lamps they sell, one looks exactly like the Harbor Freight lamp, except it costs 40 bucks. The spare bulb is $9.95. So, by the time you pay shipping, the cost would be pretty close to a new lamp unit from Harbor Freight using a 20%-off coupon.

http://www.apogeekits.com/bulb_t4.htm

I had forgotten about this until I was at a hobby-crafts supply store today and walked by a display with the same lamp as Lowes had. Right next to it was spare bulbs for $10 so I bought one. Brought it home and stuck it in the fixture to verify it was the right one. This variation is imported by Normande Lighting and the bulb number is NFS12WC. I did a google search and looked on eBay and saw some out of date references to it but nothing current.

Don't know if it matters to anyone but if you have a Hobby Lobby store near you they might have this item. I found it in the art department with lights used for easels and desks.

FWIW, seeing this thread's still alive. I bought one of the Harbor Freight lamps mentioned earlier in this thread. In the little manual that came with the lamp was an 800 number for ordering parts. I called them and they quoted a price of $4.69 for replacement bulbs.

gunboatbay , thanks, I had went by HF and picked me up another and the manager said he would try to get some in, they had sold several of them, thanks again, Lahte Nut

LEDlights.jpg

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=3870409

Installed these little jewels above my workbench @ work. They're great. (That's what Tony the Tiger says at least) ;)

They will soon be gracing the other dark corners of the home shop. The setup pictured above consists of 12 units, powered with a 12 volt DC plugin. They draw 340 milliamp total for the string. I've got them throttled back to around 28 milliamps each. 30 milliamp is the current limit, and I don't want to push them that hard.

They run on 12.0 volts. This can be increased slightly to get them brighter but will shorten the lifespan quite a bit.
If you power them off of a 12 volt battery (12.8VDC) you'll need some extra resistance.

Calculate your resistor like this.

Voltage you have: 12.8
Voltage for leds: 12.0
difference .8

divided by current the LED needs: 30 milliamp = 0.030 Amps 0.8 / .03 = 26.6666

you would use a 27 Ohm resistor. (Closest common value)

13 volt supply, the difference is 1 volt. Divided by 30 milliamp. you would use a 30 Ohm resistor. etc etc.

Questions welcome,
Kermit

Latest posts

Back