Mill Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swordsmith

Reaction score
I has been a long time since I first starting redrawing and scaling up the plans for this engine. It is a mix up of a few elmer designs built at double scale. 1" bore, 2" stroke and a 6" flywheel. I thought bigger was better, but soon realised mine and my equipments limitations. It was built with a H & F AL 50 lathe, hacksaw, hand drill, 4" angle grinder, die grinder and a set of files. Is nearly all made out of mild and bright steel. The finished engine with it's base weights a good 7 kilos. I was never very happy with the surface finish I could achieve or my accuracy. I have since found accuracy is found with patience. I have a lot to learn about machincing. I always seem to be wondering "how should I hold that" or "I really should have done that first".

I am really finding your build threads to be quite helpful. Seeing a lot of things I would never think of.

WP_20130126_009_zps1a8ae1d4.jpg

WP_20130126_004_zps0f36b499.jpg

WP_20130126_002_zps79f9a031.jpg

(hope I got the photo linked right)

Jamie

I have since found accuracy is found with patience. I have a lot to learn about machining. I always seem to be wondering "how should I hold that" or "I really should have done that first".

I am really finding your build threads to be quite helpful. Seeing a lot of things I would never think of.

Jamie,

It sounds to me like you have learned the important things.
All that is left now is practice.

Some people spend their life without learning what you already know.

Steve Fox
It's a good looking engine by the way.

Jamie,

I think it looks great and especially interested as I am building one of my own. While the important bits of mine will be sized as drawn, I do plan to take some liberties with Elmer's design as well.

Any chance of a video? my guess is that it runs nice and slow and sounds fantastic.

Thayer

Good looking engine Jamie. I am considering doing a steam engine similar to yours.

Vince

Latest posts

Back