Metal for studs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerofourcycle

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure what metal to use on the bentley br2 cylinder studs. The book says high tensile. Music wire is already hardened. Any help. Stainless won't thread good. 0-1 tool steel? Bore ruff cut

View attachment 1478407061501.jpg

You can machine the heads off appropriately sized bolts or screws

Here is a good link to fastener information. Go down to the screws category. Socket head screws are generally Grade 8 or better and have a high tensile number. Rather than cut up a bunch of socket head screws you could use 1144 steel which has a tensile strength of 115K, and a yield strength of 100K and machines quite nicely.
303 stainless steel which is one of the easiest to machine has a tensile of 89.9K and a yield of 34.8K
http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/
gbritnell

Whenever I buy cap screws, I get them as long as possible as they are only usually pennies more.

When they are required I cut them to length, but keep the offcuts for making studs out of.

A bit of a cheapskate method but it reduces the amount of screws I have to keep in stock and I get almost free studs as well.

John

Stainless will thread very nicely if you have quality dies. Anything high tensile will need very good dies to thread or you could thread cut them on the lathe and finish with a cheaper die.

Looks like you need a 6mm diameter bit of steel to make them out of - how about using EN8? That is easy enough to come by.

Jo

Latest posts

Back