Meehanite for piston rings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Rudd

Reaction score
My metal supplier stocks Cast Iron in round bar form.
I asked what grade of CI it was only to be told it is Meehanite and suitable for model engineers.

So can I use this material for making piston rings?

Hi,

If it is Meehanite, you vould certainly use it for piston ring.

Hi All

Meehanite is a trademark for an engineering process to make many types of cast iron. When a foundry advertises that it produces "Meehanite Iron" this means the foundry is licensed by Meehanite Metal Corporation, initially of Chattanooga, Tennessee but now based in Mequon, Wisconsin. The Meehanite process includes a series of specific processing steps, which, when followed, will produce, according to Meehanite, cast iron with uniform soundness, consistent physical properties and dependable performance in service.

Meehanite metal specifications include a wide range of cast irons, including flake graphite types, ductile irons, austempered ductile irons, wear resistant irons, heat resistant irons and corrosion resistant types. Meehanite is not a specific alloy or material. While Meehanite lists all of these metal types in its grouping of specifications, all of these types of cast irons can and are made by non-Meehanite licensed foundries. Many of the types of engineering grades listed by Meehanite were discovered or developed by other companies.

Castings made by this method are used, for example, to make machine tools and other types of castings. Some Meehanite alloys are designed for high corrosion resistance.

Tim

I would try viton o-rings. I bought rings from a model supplier but decided while they were in shipping to try an o-ring using the specs CFELLOWS so graciously provided. Those rings are still in the box while the o-rings have been abused and are still holding great compression. O-rings won't wear cylinders either. Later, Rick.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeE3vZWJUZk[/ame]

Here is a video of an engine with an o-ring piston ring. I'm still impressed with the durability of these o-rings.

;D Hi there, just a quickie, the pearls of wisdom from "the old guy" reminded me of that old saying "before one can be old and wise, one must be young and stupid first" hmmm (no insult or anything derogatory intended).
Cheers
Graham

Latest posts

Back