Maximum facemill/flycutter with X2 mini mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfarris

Reaction score
I have the HF X2 mini mill. After I convert to the belt drive, what is the maximum diameter facemill/flycutter that would be recommended? I know out of the box, 1" is the maximum recommended, but with the belt drive, I was hoping to use one a little bigger.

I have the same setup on my mill and I use a 1.25 face mill with no problems.

I have this set of fly cutters from LMS. They're designed to work with our X2 mills. I think the largest one goes up to two inches. And, the set is on sale now for $12.95 with the included tool blanks.

Todd

I have the same kit, and I have used the bigger one with a large bit describing a diameter around 2.8", the important thing here is the depth of the cut, it has to be very thin, otherwise you will jam the mill.

The 1" maximun out of the box is to prevent you from destroying the gears, but the motor (with very ligth cuts) will be able to perform bigger diameters without problem.

Saludos

Thanks for the advice. I figured I would be able to use something bigger than 1" with the belt drive addition. Is there a preference between a flycutter and facemill? I guess you have to sharpen the flycutter yourself. I'm a newbie and have yet to do that. Is there any video/advice/instructions on how to sharpen a flycutter tool blank?

Back