Material question; chromed brass tube keep or melt?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schilpr

Eternal tinkerer
Reaction score
OK, got a little bit of a decision to make, I have a some 1.5" OD, 1.25" ID brass tube that is chromed, I have three pieces of about 8 feet length.

I don't think I have a use for the material and I'm considering melting it down to use the brass for another casting project.

What do you think? should I keep the tube? or melt the brass out?

What could I use the tube for (as is)? originally it was hang bars on the side of a fire truck.

Little heavy and hard to bend for that use, but thanks for the thought Lew.

I don't do any foundry work, but you may find that the chrome plating flakes off when you melt the tubing. Similar to when chrome plated steel starts to rust and the chrome flakes off.

Paul.

For sure you'll find a use for it after you melt it. I'd keep it - art deco engine cyl maybe ?

I'd keep a few pieces of it as tube for sure, just don't think I'll need 24 feet of cylinders

I don't do any foundry work, but you may find that the chrome plating flakes off when you melt the tubing. Similar to when chrome plated steel starts to rust and the chrome flakes off.

Paul.

The chrome normally comes off after you melt the substrate out, and you can scoop it off easily.

Both are toxic, however just a small amount of chrome plating liquids make ground water unsafe for drinking.

Latest posts

Back