Mastercam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kustomkb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score

If anybody has any Mastercam questions I'd be happy to help.

I modeled my latest build using it;

cad%20model.JPG

-Kevin.

Nice work! I wish I could draw in 3D. I draw with AutoCad LT & I just can't get the hang of any 3D modeling package. We have SolidWorks 2009 at work & I just can't get into it yet!

Thanks, we just got solidworks premium at work. I just had two classes last week and three more this week. I felt reluctant to start too.
Just keep going through the tutorials and after awhile it starts to "click". Looking forward to doing some mechanical animations.
(one day)...

I would be entirely lost without Solid Works, I freaking LOVE that program!!!

I'm Using X2, Solidworks costs between 4 and 30 thousand.

What, exactly, is X2? How much does it cost?

Chuck

Its their latest release, Mastercam 10.2 , I think we paid upwards of 10 grand, They are actually up to X3 now, will get the upgrade soon.

I'm new to cnc and I just bought a desktop mill and lathe from a college. The deal came with computers but the mastercam dongle is missing and I don't think they are going to find it. It is version 8.1, any ideas or help that I might use would be appreciated. I e-mailed Mastercam but haven't heard from them yet.
Mike

Hi Kevin,

What can you tell me about MasterCAM 9? I have a version around i need to reinstall but i'm looking for some tutorial type pages or a book if you have any recommendations. I model with Solidworks and am looking to work with the MasterCAM on an old Boss Bridgeport (with some mods i assume). Any thoughts would be great. I used CAMWorks with SolidWorks a few years ago but i'm a little disconnected from that now. Thanks!

Jared

Kevin, how long have you been using Mastercam? The reason for my asking is that I have V9.1. When I worked for Ford I started with CV which over the years morphed into different versions because it was bought out by others. I think it ended up as Unigraphics. The biggest problem over the years with modeling programs, now I'm talking 20 years, was the ability to do fillets. I worked in the casting division of Ford so we needed filleting more than anyone. The final iterations that I worked with did filleting very well but now back to MC v9.1. I have just built my 4 cylinder OHV block in MC and it has trouble doing fillets in some areas. I have tried many work-arounds to get them to come out like I did years ago but I'm not having much luck. I'll explain what I'm talking about. I have a side wall with a small horizontal step in it. When I extruded the basic shape I naturally put the step into the profile with the fillets in the corners. When I got ready to put the vertical corner radius/fillet on the part it wouldn't do it. I take it from working with early modeling programs that it doesn't like to put a larger radius (.125) over a smaller contour radius (.062). I guess my question for you is did you ever work with v.9.1 and if so did you have problems with the filleting like I have explained? I'll try and post a picture for you but I don't know what type of format to use to post the picture. I have taken a screen shot of the block and opened it in a word document but I don't know how to save it to post to my Photobucket account to link it back here. Well I got something but I don't know if it's the best way to do it.
4cylOHVblockpic.jpg

gbritnell

Hi Kevin,
Wherefore art thou?
gbritnell
jared
mike

Sorry fellows, I just saw your posts,

Hi Mike, they will deffinitely want to sell you a new dongle but probably aren't supporting V8 anymore.
They have an evaluation/educational copy that does everything except post g-code, I think.

Jared, I started with V9 and used books from emastercam.com, I'm not sure they still make them for v9 and the shift to 10 had quite a change in the interface. If you can get ahold of V10 you will be alot better off in the long run and not invest too much time in an older version. I resisted using 10 for awhile but am glad I have made the change.

gbritnell, try playing with the mitred corners and propogate along tangencies options, If you want to send me your file I would be happy to take a look, here is an example similar to what you are referring to, (I think)

Fillets.JPG

Hope this helps and sorry for the delay,

Kevin.

I just started Mastercam training class at school this past week. We are using X2. So far, the first two classes are just using the CAD features to make copies of paper drawings: lines, fillets, chamfers, circles, dimensions, all 2D. The next class will be generating toolpaths for a bolt circle drilling. Very interesting.

Latest posts

Back