• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale magnetic indicator holder (new, estate item)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
from a friend's estate, needs a new home, $12 plus actual shipping cost without the box top, $16 with the box top (I have two otherwise identical units)

Attachments

• 20220715_221900.jpg
    20220715_221900.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220715_222643.jpg
    20220715_222643.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 3
Sorry to head things off on a tangent when you're trying to sell something, but...

That's like the mutant offspring of a surface gauge and a regular indicator holder. I've never seen that type before. Do you have to use tools (Phillips screwdriver?) to set it up? Does it have a fine adjust? What is the V notch in the base? It's magnetic? How does one engage or disengage the magnet?

I wish I could buy it but the shipping to Canada is almost certainly a deal killer.

Craig

I have a few of these indicator holderss that I use regularly, so let me see if I can give you answers. The photo below may be illuminating. as you can see, it has two magnets, one on either side of the V. the V is a convinent way to provide poles for the keeper function of the steel (e.g. it steers the magnetic lines of force) while also letting this straddle something if you need it to do that (I have never needed it to do that, but for example it will straddle the V on the ways of your lathe). Enco, which about 7 or 8 years ago was bought by MSC, was a provider of inexpensive machinist tools and machines, better than harbor freight by far, since they carried both imports and domestic brands (including starrett, etc). the aluminum (silver colored) thing you see on the base in the first photo upthread is a lever to lift the front of the magnet so you can remove it. you don't have to use tools, you (or the factory) tighten the screws to provide sufficient friction. these are designed to hold an indicator like a Starrett Last Word (711) or a Gem 222, the kind with a pivoting probe. The knob you see at the back of the aluminum block in the first photo moves the black steel parts horizontally. This is useful if you have an indicator on the arm and you want to move the probe to be directly on top of a cylinder in your lathe (for example). There is another variant which I have in my shop that has a pivoting spring loaded part on top of the aluminum thing, and an L-shaped arm - my friend (from whose estate these come) gave me one of those years ago.

These are more convinient than the more common kind with a square base and a vertical post that you release by turning a knob, under some circumstances, and less convenient under others - if you are using a plunge type indicator, I prefer the kind with the square base and the knob to release, but when using a last word type indicator I like these better. Still, I must admit that I use whatever I can reach quickly, unlike my friend, who would spend time to get the perfrect tool and then use it, I want to get whatever it is that I am doing done so I only go on a tool search when I actually need something different than what is next to me.

as for shipping to canada - there used to be a special rate for Canada, now it seems it is $$$. A lot of folks in Canada have a post office box just across the border and they have things shipped to that address and then they come pick up their stuff every once in a while. I can ship this in a priority mail flat rate box, you can check the shipping at www.usps.com - I charge just what it costs to ship, but I agree, it may or may not be a deal breaker.

Attachments

• 20220716_081620.jpg
    20220716_081620.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the explanation. That's quite cool and looks useful in certain circumstances.

For cross-border purchases, I use a service in Lewistown, NY from time to time. It is about 2 hours driving to make a round trip so there's a trade-off on that versus what seems like punitive direct shipping charges. Right now I don't have anything that has made it to the top of my "Seeking" list.

Craig

Latest posts

Back