Maddy and Daddy build Rosie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophub

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I like to do projects with my kids aged 7,8 and 9. My daughter, who is the oldest, is the arts and craft person of the group and we have built some woodworking as well as electronic projects together. I was looking around on the forums and saw a picture of an engine called the Rosie. The support and base are hearts and I thought that would be a really cool project for her and I to do together. I found out that the engine was built by Tin Falcon. I have contacted him about the engine and he has been great, answering questions and even took the time to draw up some plans for me to follow. Thanks Tin! The picture below is of the engine he built. This will be my third engine and my first time working with Corian so it should be interesting. Tin suggested pink be used for the support and white for the base. I came up with some ideas that might be cool such as laminating the hearts with 1/4" pieces of Corian...pink on the outside and a red layer inside. My daughter thought that would look good so we'll try it. I know from my past experience, my ideas sometimes seem cool but either they don't look as good as I thought they would once I actually build it or the ideas are beyond my abilities and come out crappy. I have some others but I'll get to them as I go along. First problem is finding some small pieces of Corian in the colors we want. I'm going to visit Lowe's soon and talk with them to see if they can help.

More later...

Shawn

Rosie A (3).jpg

Hi Stan,

The plans call for pieces that are 4.5" square but if I have trouble finding what I need I'll definitely keep this in mind and downsize the hearts to fit. I"ll also show that website to my daughter as we might have to comprise on the colors. Pinks and reds don't appear to be current colors. Who knows, she might like something with a pattern in it instead of solid pink and red.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Shawn

I went to Lowe's (home improvement store) tonight and they said they don't have any small pieces and they only order what they need. The salesperson gave me some ideas of who might have some locally so I emailed one of them. We'll see what they say. There are also some guys on the auction site that might be a good source as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Shawn

Well, no luck getting scrap pieces so on to plan B. Dupont samples are $8.00 for a 4 x 4 piece but they don't have the colors we want.

I found a product called Hi-Macs which has the colors close to what we want. Their 4 x 4 samples are $7.00. We'll order the pieces we need and we'll cut a piece of wood and inlay the smaller Hi-Mac heart into it so we'll have a wood border around the heart.

Back