M & W small hole gages

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Posted by Woodster in the beginner thread.

Moore & Wright are a good UK brand, if you can find them.

Wonder if you can tell us more a bout Moore and Wright. An specifically the set pictured below. and yes I borrowed the image off the Chaski forum but appears to be the same set I have.

I am here in the USA . IIRC about 10 years ago I purchased a Kennedy tool box with a decent amount of tooling included. The box belonged to a guy that worked in a mold shop then was promoted to manger. The guy had left his box on the shop floor and folk had borrowed many of the good tools and neglected to return them. there was some good stuff left in the box the the starret mikes were gone and the good square exchanged for a beat up import one.
Anyway to my point one of the interesting tools in the box is a set of moore and wright hole gages the set ranges from 1/8 in to 1/2. can you tell me more about this set. I searched the web and not a lot of info on these.
TIA
Tin

Moore and wright hole gages.jpg

Thanks swifty. They do seem to be good quality and good condition . But an unusual tool
I have starret full and half Ball gauges as well
I cant help but wonder why they were in a tool box in New jersey USA and how they got there. My best guess to why is length . They will reach further into a deep hole than any i have ever seen.
As far as where I can only guess a specialty importer like Maryland metrics that imports tools from all over the world.

And it seems these gauges are discontinued.
Tin

Tim,
those gauges are a quality tool, Moore and Wright are a very old company probably 100 years old I was using those gauges 50 years ago, in fact I have my own set of 4 that measure from 1/32 up to 1/8 holes,

..............Edmund...........Alberta

IMG_3735.JPG

Tin, I can tell you no more than they are still in business in Sheffield, England and you would be hard pressed to find a machine shop in the UK that don't use at least a few M & W mics etc. I used to use those very same bore gauges when i first started in engineering, as well as M & W internal Micrometers. Very, very good tools!

Not looking to sell and you know if I did sell I would need the next week.
Tin

Latest posts

Back