Lubricate rotating disk under slight pressure

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsteve

Reaction score
Ok - I'm working on my first engine. I wanted something that I could build out of the materials and tools I have on hand. I decided on a 'steam' engine...
engineqc5.jpg

I know; the drawing ain't pretty - but neither will the engine! (I've got an old piece of carbon steel that I found that is going to be the body)

I plan on having a bearing on the crank support that will hold the end of the valve shaft, and just plastic or wood bushings to hold the crank. I would like to avoid gears (all I have is a lathe), but if it takes too much effort to turn the wheel, the timing "belt" will slip. I can't think of any other ways to convert linear motion to rotational motion on the same axis... (any suggestions there are also welcome!)

The only problem I can see is how to keep the valve wheel rotating. Should I just machine out a ring-shaped channel on each side and make a plastic bushing of some sort for them?

Thanks!

bigsteve,

I looked at your drawing several times yesterday. I understand the purpose and concept of the valve wheel, but for the life of me I can't tell from your sketch how you plan on driving it? It looks like most of the valve wheel will be imbedded inside the air supply and exhaust shroud. Can you provide any more details? The valve wheel will need to remain in close contact with the air supply shroud, perhaps with some sort of spring tension as is used in oscillating cylinder engines, but of course that will add friction as well.

Sorry I know that's not much help yet.

Bill

The connecting rod is a u-shaped solid piece. The flywheel will connect to the bottom left point by another rod, and the top right end will power the valve wheel. The top end of the connecting will connect to a crank that powers a vertical shaft. That shaft will run perpendicular to the shaft that powers the valve wheel. There will be a rubber band or some other belt that is at a 90° twist between the two shafts.

I think I will be changing this design up a little: I found a FED-coated (like teflon, but it won't scratch) piece of sheet metal that I will cut into a circle. It is too thin to have the air go through the edge, so it will have to go through both faces (easier to drill, anyway).

Latest posts

Back