USS MONITOR SIDE LEVER ENGINE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wce4,
Not entirely off topic...I have been treated very well at the local VA.
Hope your visit is not too serious.

Alan
Problem with the old ticker, but doing fine now. I am back in the shop as of today, thank you for your concern. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.
Now back to machining. Where did I leave.........🤬

Last edited:
Part #16 -CYLINDER x 2 completed
Out of 2 pieces aluminum round stock two cylinders were found to be hiding inside.
A lot of machining went into fabricating the cylinders, it was exhilarating to see them materialize. (I know 'I'm a weird person. 😜 But to me I would rather be here in my shop then to be at the VFW post listening to war stories or watching the boob tube)
DSC00078.JPGDSC00079.JPG
And they line up to the cylinder mounting plate. 🙃
DSC00080.JPG

Hex from Round in 7 easy steps.
DSC00083.JPG
Round stock extend from chuck to show details.
DSC00084.JPG
Part #07-FRONT ROCKER SHAFT BEARING BASE x 2 85% completed
Part #09-REAR ROCKER SHAFT BEARING BASE x 2 90% completed
Part # 23-STEAM INLET GLAND x 2 completed Modified to suit model builder ( me)
Part # 24-PISTON ROD GLAND x 2 completed
Part # 25-VALVE ROD GLAND x 2 completed
DSC00085.JPG
DSC00086.JPG

DSC00087.JPG

That completes 95% of parts on sheet 8 of 14 (Waiting on chucking reamer to finish 100%) in the mean time onto the next part sheet 9 of 14. 🙂

Hex from Round in 7 easy steps.
View attachment 152700
Round stock extend from chuck to show details.
View attachment 152701
Part #07-FRONT ROCKER SHAFT BEARING BASE x 2 85% completed
Part #09-REAR ROCKER SHAFT BEARING BASE x 2 90% completed
Part # 23-STEAM INLET GLAND x 2 completed Modified to suit model builder ( me)
Part # 24-PISTON ROD GLAND x 2 completed
Part # 25-VALVE ROD GLAND x 2 completed
View attachment 152702
View attachment 152703

View attachment 152704

That completes 95% of parts on sheet 8 of 14 (Waiting on chucking reamer to finish 100%) in the mean time onto the next part sheet 9 of 14. 🙂

Had opportunity to watch a very nice CNC lathe 'turn' a nonagon (no kidding - - - and seriously interesting!).
Still have the whatsit around somewhere (it was something to show off the capabilities).

Haze gray and underway !
Well it's not really haze gray and definitely not underway but, the dye bottle reads color gray.
Part # 28-STEAM CHEST OUTRIGGER x 2 completed
Part # 31-FLYWHEEL INSERT x 1 completed and press fitted into Part # 30
Part # 57-VALVE ROCKER x 2 completed
DSC00097.JPG
DSC00098.JPG

Ok I admit it, I cheated in making part 57-VALVE ROCKER. I wanted to see if my homebrew CNC works.

DSC00094.JPG
DSC00096.JPG

And it does ☺️

Haze gray and underway !
Well it's not really haze gray and definitely not underway but, the dye bottle reads color gray.
Part # 28-STEAM CHEST OUTRIGGER x 2 completed
Part # 31-FLYWHEEL INSERT x 1 completed and press fitted into Part # 30
Part # 57-VALVE ROCKER x 2 completed
View attachment 153529
View attachment 153532
Ok I admit it, I cheated in making part 57-VALVE ROCKER. I wanted to see if my homebrew CNC works.

View attachment 153531View attachment 153533
And it does ☺️
View attachment 153534
It sounds like a lot of vibration, something is not as per "rule book"...
but still not cheating (I think), you work with what you have!

I decided to buy a 2nd hand scroll saw long time ago, which I rarely use. (should search for it, and re-commission) Later I learned that a reasonable cheap Laser is only about 50 000 USD without suction system for the toxic fumes...

I would have ordered it (the shown part, not the laser cutter) possibly from the "Laser Uncle" :cool:.

Two more parts done, .....👍

Greetings Timo

It sounds like a lot of vibration, something is not as per "rule book"...
but still not cheating (I think), you work with what you have!

I decided to buy a 2nd hand scroll saw long time ago, which I rarely use. (should search for it, and re-commission) Later I learned that a reasonable cheap Laser is only about 50 000 USD without suction system for the toxic fumes...

I would have ordered it (the shown part, not the laser cutter) possibly from the "Laser Uncle" :cool:.

Two more parts done, .....👍

Greetings Timo
The CNC is a work in progress. I also have a 100 watt laser water cooled/ w suction system in my shop that I refurbished for my daughter to use. It is good for cutting wood, acrylic, gaskets material sheet, thin aluminum sheet and for engraving those items plus glass. I will post a picture of it when I get to the shop.

Last edited:
Back