Looking for info on Forrest Edwards Radial engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdawg

Reaction score
Particularly looking to find out more on the running ones - did you buy or build? Where to buy etc.
Thanks

Saw your other post with crankcase pic. Where are you located? Reason I ask is I'm aware of this fellow in Edmonton who constructed one, but was a while back. Looks like he has some other interesting projects on the go.
http://members.shaw.ca/rpape/
http://members.shaw.ca/rpape/

More recent runner. I'm not sure how you contact people through YouTube? (if you need an account or whatever.)

There are Edwards builders on this forum (but not-quite-smoke status) hopefully they can chime in.

http://youtu.be/rtv0dFBKdN4

Hard to buy one as there is no commercial source.

Free drawings are available on R&R Engines on the Yahoo Groups.

Don't find any listing for R&R Engines, R_and_R _engines is there, though

Yup. One just needs to subscribe to that particular yahoo group, then look in the files section & the current plan set is there. I believe they are public domain, not proprietary to yahoo.

But if I understand correct, I don't think the OP is looking for plans, looks like he already has a crankcase done based on his other post? He's looking for running experience?

3-6-2015 0000.jpg

3-6-2015 0001.jpg

Thanks Petertha - I'm in Calgary as well - posted a few more pics today. And yes I have the plans free off the net but was looking for people who have possibly built one that runs. Not sure what's next - maybe the cylinders.

View attachment 75820not sure if this will post again - I'm trying to get it on the app site

Yes, your crankcase pictures came through (looks like in duplicate in the second post). Is that what you mean?

Just curious, have you sourced the internal ring gear & cam gears etc.? Have you built other engines?

Reason I ask, I mulled the Edwards for a long time. There are other builders & runners on the net which helps. I ended up picking on the Ohrndorf-5 (for better or worse to-be-determined). Similar specs & layout, but no oil pump & metric based which adds some wrinkles. It will be my first engine build, so I'm damned either way in that respect :). I'm kind of proceeding the opposite way: goal is to make one complete cylinder/head tower, plenty of work & challenge for me. If that all works out, continue on with crankcase & internals. Just making prototype parts & jigs now. I'll post some pics soon when I have a bit more to show.

Anyway good luck & looking forward to your progress!

Very nice. Assume you are the builder & star of the show? :)
If so, did you do any significant modifications to the engine construction, or basically stick to the plans?

I stuck pretty much to the plans with the exception of a crankshaft driven fan on the intake side and a different intake manifold. It took about 8 months of off and on work to complete. I made different valve guides with a small flange on the bottom to hold them square with the cylinder head.

Latest posts

Back